] Home Sick 6 * Finale [

Prompt: The reader has amnesia and meets a nice man in the park...but can't shake the feeling like she's missing something from her past.

Warnings: language, amnesia, nightmares (maybe), this is going to be fluff/angst the entire time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a few moments, Bucky stood up. Steve wanted to go after you, to demand an explanation but he stayed planted where he was.

"How could you do that to me? I told you I loved her, that I wanted to marry her," Steve insisted, pleading in his voice.

Bucky's jaw slackened as he said, "I did too."

"What?" he breathed.

"Steve...I knew her before the amnesia. Y/N and I dated for 3 years. She must've got caught by Hydra after you picked me up in Bucharest. I tried to go back for her but she wasn't there. I checked her phone but it'd been disconnected. I tried to track her down but I never could."

"You never told me this," Steve accused, unable to fathom how his best friend could keep that from him. A flurry of emotions pelted through him at that moment. Anger, betrayal, sorrow, grief,

"How could I? Steve...she's your girlfriend, I couldn't take her from you. Not like that. I'm sorry if it feels like I stepped on your relationship, I just couldn't help but be near her."

"So what about today? Her phone in your room?"

Bucky shrugged, wiping some of his blood away with the back of his hand, half examining himself. "She had a nightmare and she came in here to talk to me about it. We bonded over shitty memories and bad dreams, that's about it."

Steve laughed lightly without humor, shaking his head. What a mess. In his gut, he believed his friend. He believed that you nor Bucky betrayed him, at least in the most basic sense...But now, he had to believe that his best friend loved his girlfriend and that one of them would have to let you go.

"You really loved her, huh?"

Bucky nodded, pursing his lips as he thought of you as you were.

"That's why you couldn't be in the same room as us..."
He simply nodded again.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you, I just figured if she didn't remember me and she loved you, I wasn't going to take that from you."

"How much?"

"How much...what?"

"How much did you love her?"

"I bought the ring..."

Steve's face pinched into pain as his chest constricted. "Then you should go after her..."

"But...Steve...she's--"

"Buck, she's not mine. She's whoever made her happy. If you two had three years together, I can't take that away from you. Just...go after her."

His heart swelled as he thanked Steve and ran out the doors, leaving his best friend to stand there with his own broken heart, as if the pain had been transferred from one broken hearted soul, to the other.

Bucky found you a block away and ran up to you."Y/N, Y/N, wait!" he called

"Bucky, please...just go," your voice thick as you wiped away tears.

"No, I'm never leaving you again," he said as he grabbed your shoulders. "Do you remember me?" he asked fervently. You didn't respond. "Fine," he said, his tone defiant. His arms wrapped around you as he kissed you, his mouth feeling like the thing you'd been missing since you woke up. His taste gave you that breath of fresh air you'd been longing for for almost two years. Being in his arms, feeling his touch, his kiss - it felt like home.