] Jaded [

Loki's face lit up with the broadest face he could muster. He looked to his brother, Thor, before returning his gaze to his mother.

"Her name's Y/N?" he asked.
Frigga nodded. "Yes. And Thor's soulmate is named R/N."
"Y/N," the young Loki muttered, "It's beautiful."
"Frigga," Odin's voice boomed.

The woman set her jaw and stood to face her husband. She raised her chin slightly. The man, however, wasn't backing down. Loki stepped behind his mother for a moment, watching his father quizzically.

"You know the names are forbidden to be known," Odin declared.
"Why should they be?" Frigga countered, "The least they could know is their name."
Odin sighed. "You know that isn't how it works."
Frigga took a deep sigh. She lowered her gaze in understanding.
"You know what you must do," Odin muttered before leaving.

When the man was gone, Loki turned his gaze to his mother. She offered the boys a small smile as she crouched low.

"What did father mean?" Loki asked.
"Oh, nothing," Frigga cooed.

Gently, and with her magic, she brushed her fingers over their foreheads. Their young eyes closed as she pulled the memory from their mind. She sighed while having to replace the memory with something else. When the boys opened their eyes, she knew it had worked. Unfortunately, it may have done more than she anticipated, for Loki's features darkened ever so slightly.

Did a part of him still know what had occurred?

Years Later...

Loki was thrown from his ride and into one of the apartment complexes, crashing through glass and plaster. He groaned, before rolling to stand. He brushed off his arms before hearing the faintest of squeaks. His glowing green eyes searched the room, eventually falling upon a woman in the corner of her room.

His mouth opened the slightest while cocking his head to the side. Her frightened gaze met his as he took another step forward.

Suddenly, he saw a f/c light loitering right in front of her chest. Shocked, he looked back into her eyes. Seeing her shocked expression focused on something other than his face, Loki looked down. A similar glow, though green in color, was acting nearly identical as the light in front of Y/N.

The trickster's eyes widened when he realized the green light was coming from inside of him. His heartbeat picked up when he saw his green light shoot upwards, toward the ceiling. His let out a breath when he saw the f/c light mirroring the green.

The two luminescent beams twirled around each other, as well as over and under. The two lights intermixed for a few mesmerizing moments. Suddenly, the f/c beam shot toward Loki the same time the green beam shot toward the woman. The lights disappeared into their chests.

"Y/N," Loki muttered, his distant memory returning.
"Loki," she whispered, slightly terrified, "That's your name isn't it?"

Loki grit his teeth. How could his own mother do this to him? Why was it so important that Odin see to it their memories be erased? He took the most beautiful thing from him only moments after learning of it. He hid the name of his soulmate! Loki let out an angry roar, aligning with the chaos outside.

"How could those cowards do this to me!" he hollered, "The one beauty in my life, and they ripped it away!"

Despite being scared and confused, Y/N got to her feet. Trembling slightly, she closed the distance between her and Loki. Tenderly, she placed her hand on the nape of his neck. Frustrated tears prickling his eyes, he returned his gaze to hers. He lowered his head, letting out a breath.

"Why did they keep me from you?" he whispered.
"I...I don't know," she uttered, voice evening out slightly, "I still don't know what that all meant."
He chuckled, despite himself. "It means we're soulmates, Y/N."

His thumb caressed her knuckles on her free hand. Without lifting his head, he kissed the back of her hand. He hadn't even thought about how she felt about it. His mind returned to the cacophony of destruction outside. He gulped. They kept his soulmate from him, and now he wasn't going to be able stay with her. Not after all this.

Loki slowly let go as he stepped further away from her. Y/N, some part of her understanding, teared up as she watched him back away. He raised his gaze to hers one last time, taking the entirety of her in: every bit of her was beautiful.

"I'm sorry," he apologized.

Without looking, the trickster leapt out of the apartment complex. Overcome with worry, Y/N bolted for the opening.

"Loki!" she shouted.

In the middle of the chaos, she could only see the green and gold swinging from alien to alien. Her heart sank when she realized he wasn't coming back. It wasn't for another hour until Thor, of all Avengers, came and pulled her out of the building. She was too distraught to explain anything, just accept the situation. Her eyes, on the other hand, continued looking for any spot of green she could find.