Chapter 183: Life unscripted (Part 3)

It had been several hours since the accident, however, Halley and Abbey were still in the emergency unit.

Vince, on the other hand, had been remaining outside the ER as he was not allowed to treat his children spite of the fact that he was a doctor, as stated in their guidelines; professional objectivity may be compromised, and their judgment may be influenced by the nature of their relationship with the patient.

He couldn't prevent his mind from racing with notions, and what had happened beforehand continued flooding back towards him.

-----

"Please help my wife, Vince. Our baby and I can't afford to lose her."

"Greg, she's been assigned a doctor; she'll be well."

"But aren't you the greatest doctor in the city? I'm confident you can save my w—"

Vince bowed and said, "I'm sorry, I can't do that," he didn't continue what Greg was about to say and dashed out the hallway to return to his office, only to then be abruptly stopped when his phone rang.

He noticed it was their chief doctor who was phoning.

"Vicente," he started, "I supposed you know what to d—"

"I can't do something like that, they're my friends," Vince snapped at the chief, "I'm a doctor, I'm meant to save lives, not—"

"Hold on, wasn't I the reason you got to that position? Why you had become a successful doctor? I'm merely asking for a simple favor, Gomez."

"Then my decision is final; I can't do what you—"

"Fine, let's put it this way. Think of me as a father who would do anything for his son. That, Julia undercover agent, put herself in jeopardy; if she hadn't gotten involved in my son's drug firms in the United States, she wouldn't have been in that situation."

"You recognize that's my issue; I learned what your son has been doing is illegal, but I chose to remain silent. I owe everything to you, chief, but— "

"Then I could reverse all I accomplished for you; think of your family, Vicente."

-----

Vince's racing thoughts came to a halt as he sensed arms around him while heard his name spoken.

"Hon, Vince," Tricia whispered, holding his face.

"Trish, you're here now," he said as he hugged her.

"Andrei arrived in our house and said you needed me to come here for an emergency; what happened, hon?"

"Where is Andrei?" He tried to alter the matter in some way.

"He just dropped me off here and said that you're in the emergency room, he drove back to their house after."