Pocky.(Murasakibara Atsushi)

-Requested angst for Atsushi. Enjoy!-

 You sigh as you struggle to wheel yourself up the ledge of the hallway. Even with all your strength, which wasn't that much to be honest. Just as you were about to give up, you feel your wheelchair being pushed over it and into your classroom. Your lips automatically tug into a thin smile as you see the huge shadow looming in front of you. You could recognize this shadow almost anywhere.

"Thanks yet again Murasakibara...I'm sorry I'm causing you so much trouble." You apologize as usual.

"It's okay (Your Name)-chin. I don't mind helping you around, it's fun." He shakes it off casually and takes out a packet of crisps from his school bag. After popping a few in his mouth, he slouches over as he offers you the bag and you shake your head politely.

"Thanks..but I can't eat junk food." You answer while holding up your hand to the bag.

"Eh? Why is that (Your Name)-chin?" Atsushi asks with a confused demeanor and you take a deep breath to explain.

"You know I'm sick right Murasakibara?" You ask hesitantly and he nods slowly before crunching down a few more chips.

"I know that you have a weak body (Your Name)-chin, but I heard from the teachers that you were getting much better. You might even get a chance to start walking again right?" He asks hopefully and your heart drops deeper than it had already sunk before. You force a smile as you feel the dull pain in your legs once more.

"Right." You smile up at him with your best fake smile before averting your gaze as you stare down at your fingers.

~~~

  A few weeks had passed since Murasakibara was able to talk with you properly. You had been less consistent with your attendance and would frequently miss school. Sometimes, he could go a whole week without seeing your face once. He was genuinely worried of course, because he did care for you immensely, and maybe a little too much. When he found out that you were admitted into the hospital again, he felt his own little heart sink to his feet. For another time in his life, he had realized something too late, and that was crushing him emotionally.

"Hey (Your Name)-chin~" 

  You hear his familiar voice as your hospital room door opens and you greet him with a smile that was not fake for once. He was finally able to see you for you, and how your true state was. You pull yourself up into a upright position as he takes a seat beside you.

"Are you doing okay (Your Name)-chin? You look really really pale." He comments and you swallow with difficulty.

"The doctor said that I'm going to have to stay here for a little while longer Atsushi. I've fallen ill again." You reveal the true meaning of your condition, hoping that he would get the hint that you weren't going to get any better.

"I guess that means you'll be able to get better right? So that's fine then. Do you want a pocky stick? It's (Your Favorite Flavor)." He offers you one and you take it gently.

"Thanks." You whisper as you enjoy the sweet bitterness in your mouth as you savor the last treat you would be able to enjoy.

  That night, your condition had taken it's turn for the worst, and you didn't make it to sunrise. The doctors had done everything they could to bring you back, but your body was just too weak for anything to be done. After all, bone marrow failure wasn't a light condition in any way. 

  It was a great shock to Murasakibara when he had to find out through your parents. He had come to visit you again the next day to find your bed cleaned out and stripped of it's sheets. There was no sign of you. Even after hearing what had happened, he was silent for a good ten minutes before everything sank in and when it did, it hit him hard. His grip loosened on the plastic bag he held, and he hunched his shoulders as he hid his face that dripped with tears. Your parents had done everything to try and comfort him, but it didn't seem to work at all.  Because in the end, you were always the person to cheer him up when he was down in the dumps. 

~~~

Dear Readers,

How was this? LOL. Since the ending had more symbolic meaning to it than you guys might notice. The reader usually rejects junk food because of her weak condition, but by the end, she accepts his offer of a pocky stick because she was aware that she didn't have much time left. So it wouldn't have made a difference if she ate that one last stick of pocky. DEEP. Yeah...I hope you liked it. I love writing angsts mwahahahahahaa.

Love,

Winnie.