Chapter 14

After the War

"What do you mean?" Y/N asked Naruto, who was sitting across from her humming to himself. He had just told her something that had made her frown.

"I said I feel guilty accepting her date." Naruto said frowning, his eyes trained on his fingers. His hands were wringing around each other, stress and worry in his eyes. Y/N frowned as she reached over, grasping his cheeks gently. He looked up and peered into her eyes, a gentleness seeping between them.

"One day you won't. It will get easier." Y/N murmured, her fingers reaching up to curl around his ears. She leaned back against the tree, her back fully against the rough bark. Naruto sighed and leaned back down until her back was flat on the ground.

"It's easy for you and Sasuke." Naruto frowned. "Hinata has always been very kind to me." Naruto looked up at the clouds, a frown prominent on his features. "Sakura doesn't deserve this either. Neither do you."

"Naruto, we will be fine. They will be fine in the end." Y/N fixed him with a glare. "Don't back up on me now Naru-chan." Y/N cooed gently, making him blush. He shook his head to clear his thoughts.

"I just wished there was another way we could be happy, without hurting anyone." Naruto frowned. "I'm not smart like you or Sasuke. What if we got caught because of me?"

"You'll do fine." Y/N smiled. "I know you care about her Naru-chan, but she will be okay." Y/N shrugged. "After all, you both get what you want. She gets to marry her hero, and you get to have me when you're not with your family." Y/N said simply, playing with her own nails now.

"Is that really what you want?" Naruto hummed lightly. "To be a toy, someone we only see on the side?" Naruto frowned. "That doesn't sound very fair to you. Who will you be with?" Naruto wondered.

Y/N paused to think, a frown on her lips now. "I don't want anyone but you and Sasuke." She said simply. "I'll be fine on my own. I made it this far." Y/N shrugged. Naruto opened an eye and peeked at her.

"Y/N-Chan-!"

"She said she's fine dobe." Sasuke appeared from behind the tree, his eyes dark. She smiled up at him.

"If it isn't the vampire." She teased as he leaned down and poked her forehead tenderly. "I see you missed us." Sasuke sat down beside her, leaning his back against the tree.

"Sakura wouldn't leave me alone." He murmured while leaning his head against the top of Y/N's head. He rubbed his cheek against her head.

"Hinata's been the same lately." Naruto smiled a forced smile. Y/N and Sasuke shared a look, understanding his plight.

"Dobe, just try not to think about it. Everything will work out. This is new to both of us." Sasuke said as he held Y/N's hand. She closed her eyes, feeling the wind blow past her face.

"Okay." Naruto shrugged. He ignored the hand outstretched to him, pouting. Sasuke rolled his eyes and slugged him in the stomach. "Ow Teme!"

"Don't be a coward now, baka." Sasuke smirked. He then leaned back and threw an arm around Y/N's shoulder, pulling her close. "Why are you guys out here, it's too cold." Sasuke shrugged. "Let's go make a fire."

"Naruto and I wanted to take a walk to try to wake up more." Y/N yawned. Sasuke looked to Naruto with a frown. He nodded to Sasuke.

"She's been having those nightmares again." Naruto sighed. "She was up all night." He confirmed this with Sasuke. Y/N had been having night terrors on and off during the months after the war. She could never explain them well, but they always left her shaken and barely a remembrance.