Chapter 56

"What is that?" Ko whispered, walking with Neji. They were staring up at the night sky. It had turned completely white, flashing in between the real sky and cracks of light. Neji frowned, shaking his head.

"It's your mother. We have to get up there." Neji could see miles away the chakra pouring in the air. Kiba nodded, clearing his throat.

"It's cold. We should send Ko back with Shino and Lee." Kiba stared up at the night sky. It was an explosion of colors.

"It kinda looks like fireworks." Ko mumbled happily. "It's really loud." She whispered as the sky suddenly cracked. It was an exploding sound, violently snapping and crackling in the air.

"It is." Neji commented. "She's fighting hard. I'm going."

"I am too." Ko said. "She's my mother." She insisted when Kiba looked at her with a frown. "I'm going and you can't stop me."

"Shino!" Kiba called out. "Come get her please."

"No!" Ko said loudly as Shino sighed. He held his hands out gently. "I'll kick and I'll scream!" Ko shouted, her hands covering her ears as Shino tried to pick her up. She turned and ran, but was caught by Shino quickly by the back of her collar.

"I know you want to help sweetheart, but the village is your home." Neji said gently, crouching down to her level. "The best way to help your mother right now is to get you safe. You heard all those sounds before, the explosions-!"

"Bye." Ko walked away. "I'm going."

"You're not." Shino picked her up. She looked at him unamused. "You're gonna get in big trouble Missy."

"Oh guess I'm beat." Ko whistled, her hands up. Neji stared at her.

"Your being snippy aren't you?" Neji chuckled lightly at her. Ko nodded, her cheeks puffed out from frustration.

"I'm going to take her back." Shino turned, ready to walk her back to the village. He paused, sensing something. "Shit." He put Ko down, on guard as everyone formed around her.

"An enemy?" Lee asked. Shino frowned, his back towards Y/n.

"Not sure. My bugs are on high alert and something just passed in their territory." Shino frowned. They spread out, Ko crouching down to get a sense of direction.

"Do you smell that?" Ko asked. "It's copper and something gross." Ko sniffed. "I know who it is." She took off into the woods, a smile on her face. They ran with her over the hill and into the clearing.

"It's a corn field, not a good idea." Neji grabbed her arm. She threw him off, running forward still. "Ko they could be hiding in the long field. It's useless."

"Hey losers!" Ko cupped her mouth, smiling. "It's me, the ultimate fighter!" She yelled happily as she jumped into the corn starch. Everyone held their breath as they watched her run inside, giggling loudly.

Neji sighed with relief as she emerged, toting someone on her arm. "Only Masaru can smell so badly." Ko giggled, the boy leaning against her shoulder with Jataro on his right. They were wounded. Masaru was chuckling, a toothy smile on his face as Neji bounded over to him.

"You've got a broken leg." Neji sighed, shaking his head. Masaru nodded, sitting down with a large groan. Lee frowned, leaning down next to him to touch it.

"I fell out of a tree." Masaru chuckled sheepishly. "We did it though." He directed to Ko. "We saved a lot of people, it's all we could do."

"Oh no." Neji cupped Jataro's cheek. The boy was tired, his eyes heavy and his face pale. "Are you bleeding?"