Chapter 59

"Did they find us?" Masaru asked incredulously. Ko giggled, grabbing onto Akarmaru's warm fur as she snuggled his head. "Where's Kiba Sensei?" He asked curiously.

"Sensei!" Nagi cupped his hands around his mouth loudly, calling out for Kiba. Akamaru whined, shaking his head. "Is he okay?" Nagi asked, shivering all the while. Akamaru nodded, shaking snow from his mane.

"Is he on the other side of the ice wall?" Ko asked him, cupping his cheeks. Akamaru nodded sadly, whining a lonely whine.

"Just great." Masaru huffed. "We're still fucked."

"Wait a minute." Nagi looked at him sternly. "Akamaru can you help us?" Akamaru nodded, barking happily with his tongue out. He leaned down, sniffing Jataro. He looked concerned as he nudged the boy. Jataro was on his butt, leaning back against the bushes. He looked drained and tired.

"We need to get somewhere where we can get warm." Nagi put a hand on Akamaru's nose. "We need a fire or we'll all die." Nagi looked at his stiff fingers, feeling a dull pain in them.

Akamaru nodded, determined as he laid his belly on the floor. "Come on Jataro." Ko leaned down, grabbing his right arm. With great difficulty, Nagi and her lifted Jataro. He groaned in pain, panting as he was forced to stand. Masaru jumped up onto Akamaru's back first, picking Jataro up from them as he was dragged on.

"I know, once we get more I can do a little more." Ko patted his back as they settled him in at the front. He laid his cheek against Akamaru's warm fur, shaking as he ignored the throbbing in his leg.

"It hurts." He breathed wispily, his voice barely there. Nagi shushed him, climbing on behind him.

"We have to keep going, there's nothing more we can do." Nagi helped Ko on, his arm outstretched. He winced in pain at the sudden movement.

"You have a big bump here." Ko glumly said, poking his head lightly. He flinched, feeling a sudden shock of pain. "How do you feel?" Nagi stayed silent as Akamaru raised.

"We should huddle together. Your lips are turning blue." He said quietly to Ko. Together, they all squished together on top of Akamaru. It wasn't much, but it was better than nothing.

"Do you think they'll find us soon?" Ko asked sadly, her lips bubbling. "I miss mommy."

"Save your energy." Masaru shook his head at her. "We won't ever see her again if you keep talking."

"But.." Ko sniffled. "I need a new Mr. Stuffy." She pouted suddenly. Nagi chuckled lightly.

"If I wasn't freezing to death, I'd kill you." He joked to her. Ko giggled. "Do you think we should find food?" Nagi asked aloud. Akamaru bounded over trees and fallen logs, dipping and diving over snow hills. They were covering good ground with him.

"I think we should." Masaru sighed, feeling his temporary leg brace. "Give me something sharp and I can hunt. Fresh meat will go a long way with him."

"A fire will." Ko said gently. "We've gone longer without eating."

"Lady." Masaru teased, making her face scrunch up. "We're battered to all hell and exhausted. We haven't eaten all day."

"They'll come for us." Ko whispered, looking at their surroundings. Akamaru was moving further and further from the wall. "They'll find a way to drop that horrible wall and save us."

Nagi stayed quiet, trying to stop the world from spinning. "Yeah." He muttered in agreement. "We should rest overnight, if that's what it's going to be. In the morning we'll go hunting. There should be fish in the creek." Nagi said loudly as the wind started picking up. They flinched as it felt like needles piercing the skin.