Chapter 58

"What do you want?" Y/N frowned, her arms crossed. Her mother smiled, a light in her eyes as she ran a hand through her hair. She looked out into the dark night, enjoying the sight. "What did you do?" Y/N asked, a peaceful silence emitting from her mother.

"How long has it been, since we've sat down together." Her mother said lovingly. "You were just becoming a woman."

"Get to the point." Y/N interrupting, unamused. "I'm tired of this, I'm tired of you, and I'm tired of you redirecting the question." Y/N sat up straight, annoyed.

"You look just like your father." The Queen murmured happily. "You've also inherited his legacy. It's time you've come home to help me run the kingdom."

"Why do you think I'd go with you?" Y/N said, looking incredulously. "Why do you think I'd care enough to want to be with you?" Y/N glowered at her.

"You don't have to be so dramatic dear." Her mother smiled proudly. "You've grown so nicely. You've always been a beautiful child. It was selfish of me to love you so deeply." Her mother cooed slightly.

"What's stopping me?" Y/N said suddenly, a fierce look on her face. "What's stopping me from killing you right now?" Y/N raised an eyebrow. Her mother chuckled, leaning back in her chair.

"I have them hostage, your 'children'." Y/N winced at the way she said children, a slight look of disgust on her face. "They're in danger."

Y/N leaned back, a fiery look in her eyes. "I see I have your attention now." Her mother smiled sweetly. "Will you listen now?"

Y/N nodded, trying not to show emotion. "Are they alive?" Y/N asked. Her mother nodded without hesitation.

"They're not doing so good." She shrugged lightly. "I can change that." She said firmly. "If you just agree to come with me."

"Why?" Y/N asked, taking a deep breath. "Why after all this time?" Y/N asked, a hurt look in her eyes. "I wasn't good enough ever, and now suddenly I am?"

"I wish you knew how lenient I'm being. A child should never speak back to their mother that way." The Queen chuckled lightly. "I'm trying to show you unity, that we're a family and always will be."

"I do not want to marry Ayato." Y/N said firmly. "I'm in love with another."

"Love is temporary." Her mother corrected her, a fierce look in her eyes. "Marriage isn't about love, it's about contentness."

"Well mother, I'm not content with signing my life away to anyone." Y/N hissed, her fist clenching by her side. "I'm not the same little girl."

"I see that." She said sadly. "She was so well behaved."

"Of fear. It was never about respect." Y/N said firmly. Her eyes were angry, showing a deep hatred within herself. "What did you do?" Y/N asked. Her mother stared.

"We're running out of time." Her mother cooed. "I left them screaming in agony." Y/N couldn't help it, she flinched hard.

"No." Y/N looked at her, horrified. "You dared to lay a hand on them? They're just children." Y/N clenched her chest, feeling a throb in her heart.

"They're not as innocent as they seem." Her mother looked at her well done nails. "Their fully trained soldiers, which I could use to the clan's advantage. You and them would be welcome at the castle."

"We have a life here." Y/N croaked. "They go to school and they are happy. They play games, and read books, and they behave well."

"They took down the colonies of our clan." Mother said sweetly, a wink on her eyes. "You don't have to pretend to me."