Entry 1012: Friday 5th July 2019

Entry 1012
Friday 5th July 2019

Another day where I lied to Nikki and made out I'd spent a four-hour shift working at The Hive, when in actual fact I was skulking at the back of The Beach Café drinking cup of tea after cup of tea waiting for the clock to hit 2pm.

When I walked into the house, after spending the morning and part of the afternoon in The Beach Café, Nikki was sat on the sofa playing with Leo. She gave me a kiss and asked me how work was. "Not bad," I said, "Same old, same old." "No run ins with Natasha?" asked Nikki. "No," I said, "I just stayed out of her way." "It's weird," said Nikki, "When you first started working there you kept saying that Nikki was always having a go at you. This week you've had more run-ins on the front doorstep than you have at work." "Yeah," I said, "I guess that's just how it goes." Again, I hate lying to Nikki, but this week is almost over and I'm hoping Blade will have found me another job, meaning I can stop lying and start earning more credits. If I'm not earning for much longer, the credits are going to run out and Nikki will start asking questions.

Whilst Nikki, Leo and I were having our evening meal I thought I'd try and chat to Nikki about Mike and Cyn to see if I could convince her that they were decent people. "You know," I said, "I was thinking about how lonely we get sometimes." "Lonely?" said Nikki. "Yeah," I said, "Me, you and Leo in this house. We don't get to see many people do we?" "You get to see people," said Nikki, "You go to work every other day and see people; Gary, GRID soldiers, even Natasha. Who do I see? I'm stuck in this house with a toddler and a cat." I looked over at the cat who was sat on the sideboard looking over at me like she wanted to kill me. Evil cat! "Well," I said, "I know I see people at work, but Natasha and I don't get on and Gary is the only GRID soldier that talks to me. I just think we could do with going out there and making new friends." "Well since the house warming no one has been round to see us," said Nikki, "Richard and Madeleine haven't been round, Roz hasn't been round, even your Mum hasn't been round. It's like no one wants to see us." "Well," I said, "Richard, Madeline, Roz and Mum are alright but what about others?" "Others?" said Nikki, "What do you mean?" "Well, we already know people who we could build relationships with," I said. "Like who?" said Nikki. "Well, there's Sci-Fi Cyn and Mike," I said. Nikki slowly raised her head and gave me a stern look. I felt slightly uncomfortable but carried on talking. "We already know them," I said, "It would be easy to meet up with them. They could come round here. We could go and see them in Cowes and they could even look after Leo whilst we had a child-free night out." "Luke, are you saying you want to re-establish your friendship with Cyn and Mike?" asked a firm Nikki. "Well," I said, "I..." "Are you telling me that you want to have a friendship with that freaky sci-fi weirdo and that unhinged psychopathic lunatic?" asked Nikki in a firmer tone interrupting me. "Well," I said, "I..." "Luke," said Nikki, again, interrupting me, "I thought I made my feelings on Mike, Cyn, TJ and Trudy VERY clear. I don't like them. They're nothing but trouble, and they're a bad influence on you. I can't believe you want us both to be friends with them? Have you forgotten the disastrous house warming? Mike brought that chav Trudy and that idiot TJ, and Cyn lied about it. She should have got you to tell me the truth." "That was my fault not Cyn's," I said, "We just didn't want to upset you." "Luke, lying to me is always going to upset me," said Nikki, "And when people like Mike and Cyn help you lie to me it upsets me even more." "Yeah, but Nikki," I said, "We all make mistakes. What if I get Cyn and Mike to say sorry to you?" "I don't want their apologies," said Nikki, "I want nothing to do with them. I can't understand why you'd want anything to do with them after they disrespected me in such a way." "Nikki, me and Mike have been through so much together," I said, "I know he's a bit full on and a bit weird sometimes, but I'd probably be dead if it wasn't for him, and as for Sci-Fi Cyn, she's the one who convinced Blade to bring me to the island whilst I was cryogenically frozen." "I DON'T CARE!!" Nikki angrily shouted as she banged her fist on the surface of the dining table. I gasped and jumped back slightly. "OK," I gently said, "We're just talking here babes. Just calm down." "Don't tell me to f*cking calm down!" Nikki loudly snapped, "Jesus Christ. You actually want to be friends with those two morons, don't you? That's what you're telling me isn't it?" "Look," I said, "If I go to Cowes to see them every now and then, you don't have to come with me. I can go on my own. Maybe take Leo every now and then, and you never have to see them." "Oh, that's right," exclaimed an angry Nikki, "Leave me here all my own whilst you go to Cowes and see those two idiots who lied to me, made a fool out of me and wrecked our house warming party." "It's not like that," I said. "That's exactly what it's like," snapped Nikki, "Jesus, are you really trying to convince me that Mike and Cyn are decent people?" "We've been through a lot together, Nikki," I said. "I don't give a toss," snapped Nikki, "You're not their friend anymore. Get over it. I'm your girlfriend and I don't want you seeing them. If you want more friends make more of an effort with the soldiers at work."

Well that's that then, I thought to myself. It doesn't look like Nikki is going to be coming round to the idea of me being friends and seeing Mike and Cyn, any time soon. God knows what she'll do if she finds out that I've actually been seeing Mike and Cyn in secret. I just hope Blade comes good and follows through on his promise to get me another job by the end of this week/start of next week.