Entry 1116: Thursday 17th October 2019

Entry 1116
Thursday 17th October 2019

Well, I had my first shift at the prison today. It wasn't too bad.

I arrived at the prison and was escorted into a small room by an armed GRID soldier, who gave me an ID card, which acted as some sort of swipe card to get through certain doors within the prison. I don't have access to the parts of the prison where the inmates are, but I have access to all of the other parts of the prison, where the staff and the prison officers use, the locker room, the staff canteen, the staff gym, the medical wing, the storage areas etc. The GRID soldier who showed me around and gave me what might loosely be called an induction, didn't really seem to be that interested in what I would be doing. After he showed me around the parts of the prison that I have access to, I asked how it all worked. "What do you mean, how does it all work?" asked the unenthusiastic soldier. "Well, do I have a boss?" I asked. "What do you need a boss for?" asked the GRID soldier. "Well, in case I have any problems, or if I need to clarify my shift patterns," I said. "Shift patterns?" said the soldier, "You come here every Thursday. How hard is that to remember? And as for problems, well what problems do you think are going to happen? This isn't rocket science you know? You come here every Thursday, find a spot, clean it and go home. It's not difficult. You've got your swipe card, I've shown you around, I've shown you the cleaning cupboard, what more do you need?" It was obvious the GRID soldier wasn't interested, and I could see that he clearly wasn't interested in answering any of my questions, so I just shut up and just got on with things.

About an hour later I found myself mopping a corridor between the medical wing and one of the entrances to a wing of the prison where the prisoners were. I was just finishing off mopping a particular spot when I heard a heavy sounding gate open round the corner at the of the corridor. "Just be careful," I loudly said, as the sound of two pairs of footsteps got closer, "The floor's slippery round here." I looked up, gave a small gasp and felt a tiny shiver run down my spine. I looked ahead with blatant shock on my face when I discovered who the sound of one of the sets of footsteps was. It was Harold Endo. His hands were in chains and he was walking down the corridor towards me, escorted by a prison officer. "Well, look who we have here," Harold said with a big smug grin on his prison withered face, "Luke Warm." "No talking, and keep moving, Endo," the prison officer firmly said. Harold looked me up and down, glanced at the mop bucket and nodded. "Nice to see you've gone up in the world," he said with an obvious undertone of sarcasm and smugness." The prison officer then escorted Harold to the other end of the corridor where they both entered the medical wing. I felt a sense of discomfort seeing Harold but also a sense of anger – not to mention embarrassment at him seeing me mopping the floors like a skivvy. I just need to hope that I won't see him again.

After my shift, Naomi and I had our usual catch up and cuppa with Mike and Sci-Fi Cyn. I told them about my first day at the prison and about seeing Endo. "Dirty little piggie," said Mike, "God, he's one filthy squealer I'd love to disembowel." "I actually felt nervous seeing him," I said, "Not to mention embarrassed at him seeing me mopping the floor like a skivvy. He loved that. Smug pr*ck." "You've nothing to be embarrassed about," said Naomi, "It's a job. You're earning your keep which is more than Endo is doing." "Well, hopefully I won't see him again," I said, "I'm only at the prison one day a week. Maybe today was just bad luck. It's weird. I think I actually enjoying working at the prison more than I do at The Hive. It's closer to home and the staff there are a bit friendlier." "And I suppose it's better to be in a building with a handful of criminals in, rather than building with hundreds of infected," said Sci-Fi Cyn. "Prison's what you make of it," said Mike, "It can be tough, but it can be a laugh. I used to know this bloke who was a prison officer and he used to play tiddlywinks with the inmates. If he lost, he used to smuggle in a bottle of whisky in and give it to the inmates as a forfeit." "I find that hard to believe," I said. "It's true," said Mike. "How do you know?" I asked, "Because he told you?" "Because I was one of the inmates," said Mike, "I was in for setting fire to a scarf." "You got sent to prison for setting fire to a scarf!?" I exclaimed. "Yeah," said Mike, "My probation officer was wearing it at the time."

No work tomorrow. Maybe this will mean Naomi and I will get round to having sex. My balls are bursting here!