Entry 1070: Sunday 1st September 2019

Entry 1070
Sunday 1st September 2019

I'm still on cloud nine because Auntie Meryl is out of her coma, but I'm rather intrigued and a bit worried about something Naomi said to me.

I took Leo to see Auntie Meryl at the hospital. It was nice to see them both together. As Auntie Meryl continued fussing over Leo, we eventually started talking about the details of what went on with me and Nikki. "Hard-faced, psychopathic trollop," said Auntie Meryl, "I told you she was no good. She wanted to be the only woman in your life. I knew it. I knew it, as soon as I clapped eyes on the hard-faced old cow. She didn't want you to have any other woman in your life apart from her. You're better off without her." "I can see that now," I said. "You should have been able to see it before," said Auntie Meryl, "You daft sod. Everyone was telling you that she was a bleeding nutter." "Yeah, OK, OK," I said, "You were right and I was wrong." "Yes, I was right, and yes, you were wrong," said Auntie Meryl, "What sort of person kills a cat in front of another person!?" "Well," I said, "I..." "I'll tell you what sort of person," she said, "A bl**dy nutter. Killing a cat and then smashing her face into a mirror. The silly cow wants locking up." "Yeah, well I can see just how unhinged she really is now," I said, "Anyway, me and her are through. I think we've got more to worry about than Nikki – like her ex the Acting Commander." "He's another bl**dy nutter," said Auntie Meryl, "This island is full of bl**dy butters at the moment. They all want locking up. I bet that Tinsley bloke had something to do with Ryde getting blown up." Part of me wanted to be honest with Auntie Meryl and tell her that Ryde blew up because she pressed something on the iPad that Blade gave her by mistake, but as she had just had major surgery and was recovering from a heart attack, I thought I'd better keep my mouth shut. I also promised Blade that I'd stay quiet. "So, are you living with me and your Mum now?" asked Auntie Meryl. "Yeah," I said. "Well thank Christ for that," said Auntie Meryl, "That woman could test the patience of a saint. I am sick to the back of my false teeth of staring at her knickers drying on the radiators. Well...I say knickers, they look more like pieces of dental floss. I don't know if I'm living in a terraced house or an Amsterdam knocking shop." "Yeah, well, I'm back now," I said, "And you'll get to see Leo too. It's time we looked to the future and adopted an outlook that's more positive." "I'll tell you what will be positive," said Auntie Meryl, "A test done on your Mum for the clap. You need to sort her out. She can't keep bringing all these men back with a little boy in the house." "Look, you just focus on getting well," I said, "When you get out of here, we were thinking of throwing you a welcome home party. What do you think of that?" "Well, I suppose it's better than being poked in the eye," said Auntie Meryl, "You know I feel a bit like a celebrity. Trudy and TJ have been to see me. Cyn and Mike have been to see me. The miserable one and that young looking boy with short hair have been to see me." "You mean Richard and Roz," I said. "Who's that loud American hanging around with Richard?" asked Auntie Meryl. "That's Madeline," I said, "You've met her before. She's Richard's wife." "Talk about the odd couple," said Auntie Meryl, "I would never have put her with him." "Well, I'll get this party sorted," I said, "And then you can see everyone." "You need to thank that Naomi," said Auntie Meryl, "She really cares about you." "I know," I said, "She's a good mate. She was here with me every day whilst you were in the coma." "Well, maybe you should say thank you," said Auntie Meryl, "And whilst you're at it, say sorry. From what I've heard you said some pretty mean things to her because you believed all that cr*p that b*tch Nikki was feeding you." "You've got a point," I said. "Of course I've got a point," said Auntie Meryl, "I've always got a point. If you opened your ears more often instead of your mouth, you might get somewhere in life."

I thought about what Auntie Meryl said and there was a lot of truth in her words. God knows how I'd have gotten through the last few days if it hadn't had been for Naomi. Auntie Meryl was right. I need to find a way to let Naomi know just how grateful I am for her friendship and support, and also how sorry I am for believing Nikki over her.

When I left the hospital, I went straight round to Naomi's. I knocked on the door and when she answered she seemed surprised to see me. "Is everything OK?" she asked, "It's not your Auntie is it?" "No," I said, "I'm not here because anything is wrong, I'm here because I think I owe you a big thank you for being such a good mate over this last week, and because I think I need to apologise properly for all the sh*t that went on with Nikki and all that." "Luke, it's fine," said Naomi, "You've already said sorry, and as for being at the hospital with you over this last week – well, what else did you think I was going to do? I couldn't just leave you there on your own when you had no idea what was going to happen to your Auntie." "And that's why I want to thank you properly," I said, "So how about we go out for a nice meal tomorrow night at Tonino's? A drink. Some nice food. I'll pay. It'll be a proper way of saying sorry and thank you." "Actually," said Naomi, "That sounds really nice... Yes... Yes, let's do it. It'll give me the opportunity to get something off my chest." "Something off your chest?" I said, frowning with confusion. "Yes," said Naomi, "Don't worry about it. It can wait until tomorrow." "Oh, come on," I said, "You can't say that and then just tell me to wait until tomorrow. Now, I really am worried." "Luke, you really don't need to worry," said Naomi, "What I want to tell you isn't bad... Well... I don't think it's bad." "Oh God," I exclaimed, "Now I really am worried. Just tell me now. What is it? What's wrong?" "Luke, seriously," said Naomi with a smile on her face, "You don't have to worry." "When people tell me not to worry, I can't help but worry," I said, "Experience tells me to worry. Please, just tell me now." All of a sudden Leo started crying and playing up. "Maybe he wants feeding," said Naomi, "Just take him home and I'll see you at Tonino's tomorrow. Shall we say 7pm?" "Yeah, OK," I said, "Are you sure I don't need to worry." "I'm sure," said Naomi, "I'll see you tomorrow at seven." I left feeling rather anxious. I know she told me not to worry but I couldn't help it.

Something else I'm thinking about is the fact that I need a new job. I don't want to travel from Cowes to The Hive every other day. It's on the other side of the bl**dy island. Mind you, I don't relish the idea of speaking to Tinsley and telling him I need a new job. He gets angry at the smallest of things, so I can't imagine him not being angry when I tell him I want a job nearer, or in Cowes. Maybe I should just chicken out and get Natasha to tell Tinsley that I need a new job. Oh, I don't know. All I know right now is that despite Naomi telling me not to worry, I AM worried. I am VERY worried. What the Hell is she going to tell me?