Partners In Crime (Phantom Thief AU)(2)

Kokichi's face suddenly became serious; he appeared genuinely shocked. He stared questioningly at Himiko for a while before continuing to speak.

   "Y-You...like the Phantom Thief?" he asked in a low, skeptical voice. 

   "What's wrong with that?" Himiko asked, staring Kokichi in his eyes. 

   "The Phantom Thief is a criminal, you know?" Kokichi replied. Himiko shrugged nonchalantly.

   "Nyeh...I don't think so," she said. Kokichi stared at her in disbelief.

   "What do you mean you don't think so?" he asked. "He's a *thief!*"

   "Well, yeah, but...it's weird that every time it's reported that after he steals something, orphanages, or nursery homes, and other places that need money magically find large sacks of it on their doorsteps," Himiko explained. Then, a small, dreamy smile appeared on her face. "I feel like he's the one doing that. And if that's the case, I admire him for that. Even the orphans and the elderly call him a hero." Kokichi stared at her in surprise. 

   "I see," he said with a slight tone of respect. "Welp, now that we got that out of the way, how about we talk about our science project, now?" Before they could speak, however, the bell rang, signaling the end of class. 

   "Nyeh...well, guess it's time to go," Himiko said, quickly gathering her things so she wouldn't have to be around Kokichi any longer. She was about to rush out of the classroom when Kokichi put a hand on her arm to stop her.

   "Wait! Could you give me the address to your house?" Kokichi asked.

   "Why would I do *that?!*" Himiko asked in disgust.

   "So we can work on our science project, duh!" Kokichi replied.

   "Why can't we do it at *your* house?" Himiko countered. 

   "We can't," Kokichi said with a shrug. "My house is being fumigated for roaches."

  "And yet, you'll still be there," Himiko said, narrowing her eyes at him. 

   "Nee-heeheee...you got me there! Nice one!" Kokichi laughed. "But, c'mon, just give me your address, already." Himiko rolled her eyes, as well, but gave him her address. "We'll meet up after school, 'kay?"

   "Nyeh...whatever," Himiko grumbled before stomping off. 

    ***

    Later that afternoon, Kokichi and Himiko were at Himiko's house jotting down ideas for what kind of science project they wanted to do. All they had written down was "volcano."

   "Sooo..." Kokichi began after a few moments of awkward silence. Himiko rolled her eyes and sighed.