Arthur Maxson ➵ Persuasion

Arthur Maxson
Fallout 4
Warning: None

Arthur MaxsonFallout 4Warning: None

I paced in my quarters. God, he's going to kill me. I'd convinced Maxson to allow Danse to live, and allow him to continue to fight for the Brotherhood. I bit at my thumbnail as I paced. It took major skills, and some mutant-killing favors, but I convinced him. I just told him that the files were wrong. Numerous times. I heard a solid knock on my door. Opening it, I stepped to the side, "Elder."

He gave a nod, and I knew I was screwed. Normally, he'd salute, as would I. He entered, and I shut the door behind him. I leaned my back to it, putting my hands in my pockets comfortably. I watched as the gorgeous man sat down at my desk, swiveling the chair to face me. He pushed his fingertips together thoughtfully. We stayed in thick silence for a long time. Maxson looked to me, "So... I suppose you know what I'm in here to talk to you about."

"I'm so sorry. I just-"

He held up a hand and I fell silent. "Don't... Don't be sorry. I admire you, you know that? You saved a man's life today. I almost killed him on the 'assumption' that he could be a synth. He is human. You're right. The Institute must have sent us fake information to try to break us from the inside out."

"Arthur-"

He ignored me and continued his small speech, "And I almost caved. I almost reacted exactly how they wanted me to react. The Institute got to my mind, I suppose."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying... perhaps I'm not as fit to be Elder as everyone thinks."

It felt like a slap to the face. This is certainly the least likely thing I expected him to talk to me about. I sat on my bed, next to him, as he sat in my desk chair. I folded my hands in my lap, "Arthur, without you, there wouldn't be a Brotherhood of Steel. Without you, the Commonwealth wouldn't be a safer place. You are the savior of the Brotherhood, and if you step down, the entire plan for Liberty Prime and anything else will completely crumble under your feet."

He put his elbows on his knees and dragged a hand down his face, "I don't know what to do. But I came in here to ask you something." He stood up, and I took it as my cue to do the same. He looked at the door, "Should something happen to me, I'd like you to take over the Brotherhood for me. I've put it on my terminal so no one will doubt you. As for now, I'm offering you a position as my on-field Elder. My second-in-command, if you're up for the job."

My face split in a grin, "It would be an honor, Elder."

He smiled, "Call me Arthur, please."

I smiled as well, "Alright Arthur. Serving alongside you would be an honor. And should something happen to you, god forbid, I will be glad to follow in your footsteps."

He held out a large hand, and I shook it. He smiled a tiny bit, "This is why you're my favorite soldier. You know what needs to be done and you execute it."

I gasped in fake shock, "I'm telling Haylen!"

He chuckled, "I think she already knows."

Author's Note
Hope you enjoyed!! Any requests??