Joshua Graham ➵ Questions

Joshua Graham
Fallout New Vegas
Warning: None

Joshua GrahamFallout New VegasWarning: None

"Hey...? Joshua?"

"Yes?"

"May I ask you a question?" He opened his mouth to respond but I cut him off, "With an honest answer in reply?"

He closed his mouth again, clenching his jaw, "Being a good, God-fearing man, my word is always honest. I will not lie to you, but if I'd rather not answer the question, my lips will stay sealed." His icy blue eyes shifted to meet my gaze as we shut the door to a taboo shack, "I will never lie to you."

I smiled at his sincerity, "I know, Joshua. I wanted to ask you about your past."

He released a tired sigh, gently putting a hand to my back and guiding me to an Old-World living room. He sat on the couch after some hesitation, and instructed me do the same. He visibly frowned, "This may... take some time. What is it you would like to know?"

"You... You told me you were burned because that was what the Lord has to do to put you back on his path, correct?"

He shifted uncomfortably, wincing when a sensitive spot on his back grazed the rough furniture, "Correct."

I sat next to him, holding out a hand. I never took his hand because I didn't know how sensitive he would be that day. He stared at my palm for a second before gently taking my hand, his rough fingers grazed my palm as he interlaced our fingers. I sighed a little, crossing my legs under me, "But... you never really told me how you got burned."

Pain flitted over his eyes and he closed them, thinking silently. I suddenly felt my conscience in the back of my mind and felt bad, "You- You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to, I understand it can be a hard subject to talk about, but I-"

His voice came loud and hollow, like the way he spoke to the tribals, "No. You do not understand." His voice sounded like it was a hundred miles away, yet it was loud and I could hear him perfectly. Around me, his voice was sensitive and soft and full of feeling. But now, he sounded like he was giving orders to Follows-Chalk or something. It took me off guard and I knew I hit a nerve with him. He took his hand from mine harshly and rose to his feet, "We should get what we came here for and go. We have other, more important, business to attend to."

His voice was as icy and sharp as his eyes. I stood up with him, not bothering to walk by his side as he entered another abandoned room, "Joshua! I'm speaking to you, don't just walk off. Look, if you don't want to talk about it then we don't have to! I'm just trying to-"

He glared at me over his shoulder, silencing me. I clenched my jaw, balling my hands into calm fists and going to step outside to cool off. I stayed out there for God knows how long... it was until sundown. It wasn't odd, seeing as it usually took something calming like a painted sky to settle my nerves. An hour or so later, once the sun had faded, I felt my face contort in a frown. Now that the sun was gone, Joshua could come out. I sighed as I heard the door open behind me, and I turned, crossing my arms and leaning on the wooden rail behind me. Joshua looked guilty, and that wasn't a look he had often.

Last time he had that's look in his eyes, was after he confiscated Follows-Chalk's guitar. He gave it back an hour later. He looked like a puppy. He stood squarely in front of me, his prefect posture staying with him. He spoke softly, "Things got out of hand earlier-"

"Like hell, they did."

"-and I wanted to recap on some of the... topics... that can make me a little hotheaded. Maybe work through them with you."

I smiled, "Alright. Would you rather be inside?"

He shook his head, sitting in a rocking chair rigidly, "No. Fluorescent lights bother me if I'm under them too long. I live in a cave, and have become accustomed to holes in there roof providing small, comfortable light." He looked at me, could tell he was wandering, and quickly got back on topic, "What was it you wanted to know?"

"Just how you got burned. You never told me, and all I know was that the Legion was involved because during my limited time there I heard tales of you drifting around. What happened?"

Joshua sighed, nodding to the rocking chair next to him. I sat, and he spoke, his voice numb and sounding like he'd eaten gravel, "I failed in the first battle of Hoover Dam. Now I know that it was God's will to have me fail. But Caesar is not one to tolerate failure, despite my height in the rankings. He and a man, Vulpes, I believe, covered me in pitch and sent me down into the Grand Canyon. Into death."

I leaned a head on his padded shoulder, knowing it wouldn't hurt him. What could I possibly say to that answer? 'Sorry for your loss'? That seemed too heartless; sarcastic, even. I simply sighed, "That's awful. Caesar's awful. You learned from your mistakes but I wish the consequences weren't so... permanent."

He pushed his lips to my forehead, then stood up, pulling me to my feet as well and walking down a dust path, "Would you mind helping me when we get back to Angel Cave? My left arm needs re-bandaging."

I looked, and sure enough the white wraps were sagging, showing small lines of charred skin. I smiled, "I'd love to help."

Authors Note
Hope you enjoyed!! Any requests??