Travis Miles ➵ Confidence Pt.4

Travis Miles
Fallout 4
Warning: Cursing, Angst

Travis MilesFallout 4Warning: Cursing, Angst

"You stick with me, damn it!"

Tears tainted my vision. Travis lay out of a stretcher. On our way back, we were bombarded by mutants. I hardly made it out alive, and Travis was in an even worse state than before. No broken limbs, luckily, but the three extra bullet holes in him didn't help matters. Doctor Sun was working feverishly on his wounds. Vadim and Yefim stood in a corner, being the closest thing to family Travis had, we were all overjoyed at the opportunity to be here with him now. The doctor had to put Travis's arms into sleeves on the stretcher because he kept squirming. His head turned to the side lazily. His eyes fluttered and his lids dropped slightly. He moved his hand slightly, and I gripped it in mine. I cradled his head, and he smiled a little, "You're such a gorgeous human being."

A tear rolled down my cheek, "If you say goodbye, I'm saying goodbye with you, I swear to god."

His smile faltered from the pain at his side, "Hey... I'm not saying goodbye, I don't think. I'm with you to the end of the line... however long that line may or may not be. And to think I was worried about being on the radio." Doctor Sun did something, and Travis shut his eyes and grunted, the little color left in his face draining at an alarming rate.

I gripped his right hand tighter in mine, entangling my left fingers in his dark locks, "You stay with me goddammit! You beat this, and I swear to god I marrying you on the spot." My chin trembled as I spoke. Why was being strong so damn difficult when I needed strength most? Travis's eyes watered, "Awh, come on... Don't- Don't cry." He chuckled, but it sounded defeated, "If you cry, I'll cry... It'll... It'll all work out. I promise. And you better actually marry me if I make it out of this."

I let out a single sob, "Not if, Travis. When."

He smiled sweetly, but the enthusiasm in his eyes was long gone, "Yeah... Take care of my radio for me, alright?"

I sobbed out loud, standing up and resting my forehead against his, "You're not leaving me." My eyes met his, "Please, Travis. Please don't leave me here."

Doctor Sun released a sigh and cleared his throat, "I got all the bullets out, finally... This... uhm... He... needs to be alone right now... healing purposes and such."

He didn't even seem to care. Didn't even matter to him that the love of my life could potentially leave me. I was about to raise my voice when Vadim tugged my elbow gently, "Let's go. Doctor know what to do with dear old Travis." He looked to his friend, "Right?"

Travis's voice cracked, "God, I hope so." He chuckled weakly, then winced. No way in hell was I leaving his side. Vadim and Yefim took my arms, and practically ripped me away from him. Travis tried to extend his hand, trying to have my touch as long as possible. The restraints made it so his fingertips merely slipped from mine. Doctor Sun locked the door, and the men released me. I shouldered the door, "You let me in, goddammit! Let me in or I'll break this fucking door down!" I continued to beat at the metal door, and night fell. I weakly put my palm on the door, and slid my back against it, crying as I slumped into a long overdue sleep.

I awoke with a start, tears still staining my cheeks. I felt extremely dehydrated. Vadim and Yefim showed up slightly after. Vadim brought me a glass of water, and Yefim held a long wooden pole. I stood up, sipping, "What's the stick for?"

Yefim chuckled nervously, "In case you were still angry. How's things?"

I sniffed, looking over my shoulder at the door, "Not sure. I stayed here and I... guess I knocked myself out instead of the door." I looked to Vadim, "Be honest with me... you think he'll be okay?"

Vadim shared a look with his brother, "You want truth?"

I nodded, and as he was about to answer, the door opened. Doctor Sun stepped out, and shut the door behind him. He stared at it, then at me, "You're buying me a new door." His lab coat was covered in what could only be Travis's blood. I stared at him, tears welling back up, "So? What's the news?"

Doctor Sun stood defensively in front of the door, "He'll be okay. Major scarring where the bullets punctured the skin, and he can't run or his left lung might give, but I mean..." The man shrugged, "He has two lungs. Could always get rid of one, should something happen to it."

I nearly fainted from the good news. It was such a rush of relief through every muscle in my body. I stepped forward, "Can I...?"

He stepped aside nervously, "Of course. Don't wake him up or he will be in excruciating pain."

"What?"

"It's okay. Should recover over a few weeks. For the next three days or so, I'm going to try to keep him doped up on jet or something so he won't feel the pain. Just be cautious, is all I'm saying."

I smiled, and held out a hand. The doctor shook it before going to his work bench and getting on with whatever needed to be done. I told Vadim and Yefim that I needed a moment alone with Travis. I entered the room, and locked the door behind me. Much to my surprise, Travis sat up on his bed, his back elevated slightly. He had an IV in his left arm, connected to a bag of blood that I had actually donated as soon as possible. His eyes stared ahead blankly. He looked to me, "Oh. Hey..."

I stood beside his bed, taking his hand. He smiled slightly at the contact. I sighed, "I didn't know you were awake. Doc said you'd be out cold."

Travis rolled his eyes, "Yeah right. I'm sort of... immune to chems. Don't ask how I know. I'll be fine. It just hurts... a lot... constantly... everywhere..."

I felt so helpless, "Is there anything I can do?"

He nodded slightly, "A milkshake certainly wouldn't hurt." He chuckled a little and broke out into a coughing fit. I held his hand. His breathing calmed and he looked to me, "Doc said I couldn't run anymore. Not that running is something I'll miss... Also said I'd have scars. Pretty cool, huh?"

I chuckled, "Yeah, Travis. Pretty cool."

His big brown eyes softened, "Were you being serious? About marrying me after I get better?"

I nodded, a happy tear rolling down my cheek, "Yeah, Travis. As long as you'll take me."

He rested up to, and cupped my face, wiping my tear away with his thumb, "I'll take you. I'll always take you."

Author's Note
Hope you enjoyed!! Any requests??