Paladin Danse ➵ Independent

Paladin Danse
Fallout 4
Warning: None

I popped out from behind the barrier, standing up and firing off six bullets before going back down to reload

I popped out from behind the barrier, standing up and firing off six bullets before going back down to reload. There were a few Gunners who decided to pay me a visit while I waited outside of a factory for Danse. I had already killed half the men, with a few left, and no scratches. I reloaded my gun, standing up when my shoulder was yanked back. A shot fired randomly into the air.

My back hit a wall as I was practically thrown back, and it knocked the breath out of me for a split second. I frowned as Danse used his Power Armor to block me, killing the only two remaining Gunners. I'd already done all the hard work, but I didn't say that. I frowned, "Danse, what the hell was that about? I had the situation under control!"

He frowned, "You were reloading, soldier. That gives the enemy time to close in. I prevented that from happening."

"Oh please, Danse. You know how well I can handle myself, even without ammo." I rubbed a small area on the back of my neck where it had contact with the rough brick wall.

Danse immediately looked guilty, "Did I move you too hard?"

I chuckled, picking up my gun and holstering it, "You pretty much threw me, but it's alright. You were just trying to make sure the situation could be handled."

He blushed, "Right."

I raised my brows with a small smile, "The look on your face tells me there's another reason, so spill it. What's up?"

He shook his head, clearing his throat, "We should get heading back to the Prydwen. I'll throw down a Vertibird grenade and then we can just ride back-"

"Not until you tell me why you stepped in when I had it under control. I think I have a pretty good idea, but I wanna hear you say it."

He nodded, "Of course. Well, soldier, you're a valuable asset to the Brotherhood, so I wanted to keep you out of harm's way, just to be safe. I know you can handle yourself, but I wanted to..."

"To what?"

He stiffened, looking me in the eye, "To protect you. You're wanted by the Brotherhood, but you're needed by me. I like you. A lot. It was instinct to step in, and I apologize. I just wanted to protect you."

I felt my neck grow warm, "Don't... uhm... You don't have to apologize, it's fine, really." I lazily looped my pointer finger with his as we walked, "And I, uhm... I like you too, Danse."

Author's Note
Hope you enjoyed!! Any requests??