Porter Gage ➵ Sneaking Away

Porter Gage
Fallout 4
Warning: None

"Hey there boss, where you goin'?"

I winced a little, turning around to see Gage, and smiling nervously, "Uhm, I was going to make a trip back to the Commonwealth. I have some stuff to drop off and I have some people I need to visit... the ride would take a good three hours, and so I was leaving now so I could sleep most the way..."

He smiled, "Oh, well, I can come with you. Keep you company."

I shook my head quickly, "Uhm, no, no, that's fine. Really. I should get going before the train leaves... should be moving any minute now."

Gage frowned, "Well now hold on, I ain't lettin' you go alone." He took one of my suitcases kindly from my hand, walking alongside me, "Come on, boss, it'll be fun! I got some cards in my pocket; we can make bets and whatnot on the way there."

I chuckled, stepping into the train, "If you insist."

I was all nerves when I sat down, and he sat next to me rather than across from me. We threw my suitcases into the opposite seat, and he got out his cards, dealing them properly.

I would have been fine alone. I didn't trust Gage. He was the mastermind behind Colter's death, so who's to say he wouldn't be the mastermind behind mine? He seemed real happy with how things were running, but I'm sure he acted like that around Colter as well.

After two games of cards, him laying on the bench while I read him a book, and both of us having a short nap, he spoke up, "Hey... boss... You up?" The sun was just peaking over the skyline, and I woke not long after him.

"Yeah. What's up Gage?"

"How come you didn't want me to come with you?"

I blushed, "Well, it was early and I didn't expect you to be awake, and I didn't want to wake you. Plus... I figured someone should watch over Fizztop."

He frowned, "You're a terrible liar, know that, boss?"

I blushed, "Yeah..."

He shook his head, "Why'd you really want me to stay back there?"

I shrugged, "I dunno... You betrayed Colter, so the thought of being in a confined space with you for a few hours without anyone to witness anything... It just sort of set me on edge."

He leaned back on the bench, resting an arm on the back of it, "Shoot, boss, I couldn't ever do that to you. You're takin' real good care of Nuka-World, and the raider gangs love you. If I killed you, I'm sure they'd kill me right back! Plus..."

He muttered the last of the sentence under his breath, and I perked up a little, "What was that last part?" He muttered again, and I frowned, "You're mumbling again. What is it?"

He shrugged, blushing, "I, uhm... Hell, I like you, Boss. Did the moment you got through Colter. Knew you had the balls for leading Nuka-World, and apparently the ability to win me over... somehow."

I smiled, "Thanks Gage, I like you too."

He shook his head, "I don't mean like that, boss. I mean... I really like you... so killin' you ain't on my agenda..."

I felt like someone was suddenly holding a lightbulb to the back of my neck, and I giggled stupidly, "Seriously?"

"I don't get what's so funny, boss, but it's good to see you laugh. And yeah. Seriously."

Author's Note
Hope you enjoyed!! Any requests??