Evan ➵ Defense

Evan
Fallout 4
Warning: Cursing

"I guess we're more different than I thought, huh?"

My friend sighed, "I suppose. But I can change that!"

Me and Evan were sitting in his little home, and I was asking him what it was that caused him to be kind to absolute strangers. I was his friend, but I was a stranger first. I only met him because Colter sent me to 'steal' crops. Evan offered them before I sent word out, saying to take what I needed for the road. I told him I was a Raider, and he didn't care, and acted the same. Maybe that's why they let him live.

We became friends, and I would escape Gage's company and Colter's eye long enough to meet up with him and talk. We had an... unspoken thing, I guess. I didn't see what the harm in it was, but Colter said if I was caught again, he'd have my head up on his wall to look at while he got off at night. That was sickening, for sure, but for some reason, Evan just kept me coming. We were discussing his past, trying to find out what made him so kind. I sat with my feet propped up, "There's no point in changing anything, really. I'm staying with you either way, so don't bother. I'm just curious about why you're so nice and generous, when you live on the outskirts of a amusement park run by greedy whores and chem addicts."

He shrugged, getting up to make the two of us some food, "I guess that's just how I was raised. I mean... I wasn't really given much kindness, so I was quite the rapscallion when I was little! But then this one guy showed me kindness, and I wanted to be more like him... so here we are, I guess..."

I watched as he got out a lot and I grabbed him some meat he had in his fridge I'd gotten for him on a scouting mission. There was a loud gunshot and a bang, making us both jump in surprise. We immediately went to the door, opening it to see Colter, Gage standing behind him. Gage looked upset, but only at Colter. If Colter saw the disgust on the man's face, no doubt he'd have thrown him to the Gauntlet. My face drained of color, and I frowned, "Hey, Colter. What're you here for? Me and Evan were just about to eat dinner, care to join us?" I smiled widely, pissing him off.

If I was gonna get killed anyways, why not have some fun with my executioner?

Evan was behind me, calm and composed. He stayed cooking, "We were gonna have some Scorpion." He looked around the man to see Gage, "I'm sure there's enough for everyone."

Colter frowned, "What? No!" He looked to me, grabbing my elbow, "You're coming with me. I told you to stop coming around here. This guy's a bad influence. Makin' you soft."

I yanked my arm from his grasp, "So what if he is? Why does it matter to you?"

"Because you're one of my top soldiers. Can't have you goin' our on us. Stop resisting and come with me and Gage. Now."

I brought a hand across the man's face, a loud slap radiating through the room. Evan's eyes went to my hand, no doubt making sure I was alright. Colter was red in the face, grabbing my arm with more force and a tighter grip. I brought up a foot, kicking him anywhere I could before stumbling from his grasp. I picked up my gun, which had been sitting o the table, and held it out, locking my elbows. Colter froze, staring at the gun. Gage only seemed to have excitement in his eyes. Poor guy. Never saw anything interesting. I raised my brows, and Evan watched the scene carefully.

"Colter. I am staying here. Nothing you say or do will convince me otherwise, unless you plant a bullet in my brain. I'm staying with Evan now, alright? I'll help you out on occasional missions, or not at all, got it? I've been taking your shit for too long, so let me make the rules, just this once. I stay, you leave. Okay?"

His face was red with anger, and a vein in his neck and forehead looked as though beating were inevitable. He looked to Gage, who just shrugged, a small smile on his lips. Colter, with no words, slammed the door. Never heard from the guy again. Rumor was he was killed by some Gauntlet victor.

I looked to Evan, placing the gun down and blushing in embarrassment, "I'm... sorry for dragging you into all that... My bad..."

He shook his head, sliding two plates on the table and sitting next to me. He grabbed my hand, looking out his window, "It's alright, darling! You can be here with me now." His Features seemed to twitch a little in confusion, "I should have offered them something to drink. It's a long walk back to Nuka-World."

Author's Note
Hope you enjoyed! Any requests?