Paladin Danse ➵ Return

Paladin Danse
Fallout 4
Warning: None

I lay with my back on the floor, legs together and bent at the knees

I lay with my back on the floor, legs together and bent at the knees. Shaun put his stomach to my knees and put his fingers through mine. I hoisted him up, and he said it made him feel like a flying superhero or an airplane. Hearing his laugh was enough to make me happy. After playing with him a bit more, he finally skipped off to go hang out with Duncan, which I didn't mind since I was friends with MacCready, and knew he'd raised his boy just fine.

I stood up completely, twisting my back and stretching from my time on the ground. I went to get something to eat, when I heard a knock at the door. I opened it and saw Danse, encasing him in a hug, "You're back! I thought you'd be gone forever... What happened?"

I invited him in and got him rid of his armor and made him to wear his comfortable clothes (a grey hoodie and blue jeans). I made him a cup of soup he liked and made some for myself, sitting next to him as he told me the story of discovering stuff and finding new technologies and whatnot before finally returning. He looked at me, "And I noticed that you took care of the Institute. That boy... Shaun... he's not your real son, and yet you adopted him. Why?"

I rested my head on his shoulder, "Because, Danse. He had no one else, and he's just a kid, with childish emotions and desires. I couldn't leave him to burn. He never did anything wrong. That was Father. Plus, it's only been a month, and I have to admit the kid's growing on me."

"But... he's a synth..."

I sighed, "Yeah. He's a synth. He won't grow up and I can see how that will be a problem, but we'll figure something out... I still love him though. He still has the feelings of a little boy and I can't help but awknowledge that. He's important and he needs to feel loved."

Danse placed his coffee mug on the end table, leaning back and putting his left arm around my shoulder and his right hand in his hoodie pocket, "So... despite him being a machine, you love him anyways?"

I chuckled, putting my empty cup down as well, "How could I not? He's the sweetest. And he's not just a machine. He feels physical pain, and he has emotions. That's more than some humans can say. Why are you so persistent about this? Do you not like him?"

"Well, to be fair, I leave for two months and you adopt a boy. I don't mind, but I'll have to get to know him... I guess."

He had a look in his eyes and I leaned further into him, "Is there anything else?"

"While I was away, I... Let me start off by saying I'm no longer a member of the Brotherhood."

His voice seemed to quiver a little and I knew he was hurt. I couldn't help but speak in shock, "What happened? I thought you were Maxson's man crush!"

He sighed, "I... A scribe decoded some Institute message, and it said I'm... It said I'm a synth."

Tears formed in his eyes and I gripped his hand, looking at him as he looked down in shame, "Danse... Look at me." He did so, and the hurt in his eyes was like a blow to the gut. I leaned over, cupping his jaw and forcing him to keep his eyes on mine, "Danse... It's okay."

He closed his eyes, "Can we... sit differently?"

He said it in a quiet, sweet voice, making me frown in confusion, "Sure... why?"

A tear rolled down his cheek and he let out a single sob, his back shaking, and his voice cracking, "I want to be held."

I felt tears threaten my own eyes, and lay down. He lay between my legs, resting his head on my stomach and wrapping his arms around me. I drew circles on his back, my other hand playing with his hair. My heart wrenched for him, and there was nothing I could do to change the situation. He sobbed on top of me, muffling the sobs with my shirt, which I didn't mind. He looked up at me, eyes glossed and nose red. He sniffed, searching my gaze, "How can you still love me? You didn't mean to fall in love with a synth..."

I ran my fingers through his hair, speaking quietly, "Hey, Danse... Look, I didn't mean to fall in love with you at all, even when thinking you were human. I didn't mean to, but I did, and I'm so happy with the choice I made."

"How?"

"What do you mean 'how'? I love you Danse. Human or not."

He let out another sob, burying his face into my stomach again, his voice muffled, "I love you so much."

I tugged on his hair gently, and he understood, looking at me again. I smiled giving him a quick kiss, "You may not be human, Danse, but you're still a person. That's more than some people can say."

He smiled sadly, kissing me again before going back to snuggling and stealing my warmth. He eventually fell asleep, which I didn't think synths could do... maybe it was a coping method.

Author's Note
Hope you enjoyed!! Any requests??