Butch DeLoria ➵ Prom

Butch DeLoria
Fallout 3
Warning: Light Cursing

I smiled, giving my dad a quick goodbye before bolting out the door

I smiled, giving my dad a quick goodbye before bolting out the door. I was late, wearing a sun dress of my favorite color, and a pair of comfortable sneakers. This year, we managed to talk the Overseer into letting us have a school dance before we graduated.

I was going with Freddie Gomez, who asked to take me casually before walking away. I said yes, because why not, and because Freddy wasn't bad looking and seemed like a decent boy. I arrived in the Vault's auditorium, and seeing as me and Amata decorated it, I wasn't too surprised with things. There were streamers and green lights strung from the roof, and a long table holding food and whatnot. I looked around for Freddie, not seeing him. Amata was by my side, her arm through Paul's. Paul was wearing a white blouse and a green tie, and Amata had a dark green dress on. They looked good together.

Paul went to get them food and Amata smiled, "Hey, what's up? Looking for Freddie?"

"Uhm, yes, actually. I'm a little late... Is he here?"

"I dunno." Paul came back and she took her drink, looking at him, "Paul, have you seen Gomez anywhere?"

He nodded, "Yeah, Officer Gomez is at the door."

"No not that Gomez."

"Oh, you mean Freddie? Yeah he and Angela were gettin' heated so they went to the bathroom together to... y'know. Why?"

I felt my face burning, and looked at the ground. Amata shooed her partner off, putting a hand on my back, "Uhm... You alright?"

I shrugged, "Yeah, I didn't really like Freddie too much anyway... I guess I just thought that... maybe a guy really, genuinely liked me, like how Paul likes you. I dunno, maybe I just got my hopes too high. I'm gonna go... sit down..."

She smiled sadly, "You do that. Take a break for a while. I'm going to find Paul."

"Yeah, sure. You guys look good tonight."

She smiled, "Yeah, he really has some potential under that stupid tunnel snake jacket." She gossiped for a second about Wally's new fling, and I didn't really listen. She bid me off when her and Paul's song came on, and I sat down at a table, my chin resting on my palm and my fingers curling at my cheek. I heard a voice behind me, "Awh, what's wrong, princess? Your man not show up?"

I glared over my shoulder at Butch, "Oh, he showed up alright, just not with me." I huffed and turned around, feeling him as he brushed past me, sitting in the seat across from me. I felt my face burn from embarrassment, and for some reason, my vision blurred with tears. I didn't look at Butch, but in my peripheral, I could see him studying my face. I stood up abruptly, my chair scooting back a little, "I'm going to the bathroom."

I walked off, a silent tear making it's way down my face. I entered the bathroom, standing next to the sinks and looking at myself in the mirror as warm tears went to my chin. I went to a stall, rolling out some toiler paper and wiping my face off before leaning against the wall and crying loudly. What did Angela have that I didn't? I was happy about the thought of a guy actually liking me for the first time, but I guess that was just a facade. I wasn't worried about anyone coming in the bathroom because everyone else was out in the auditorium with their partners. When I finally caught my breath, calming and sniffling, my knees quivered and my arms wrapped loosely around myself. I heard the bathroom door open and quickly wiped the last tears from my cheeks.

I watched as Butch entered, his eyes immediately finding mine. He was tense, and his eyes quickly moved to the ground, as though looking at the girls bathroom was like seeing a woman naked. He blushed, "I want to talk to you. Can we go somewhere else?"

I frowned, "Why? So you can mess with me? No thanks, I'm good."

He scowled, his embarrassment leaving him, "No. Seriously now, lets get out of here before Officer Gomez walks in."

I chuckled, sniffling and shooing him out, closing the bathroom door behind us. He nodded his head to the right, motioning for me to follow him. I did so, and we walked out a cornered door of the auditorium, leading to a closet with basketballs and weights. He turned on the light and closed the door quietly behind him. He spoke carefully, "Look, I ain't here to give you a bad time or nothin', I just want you to hear me out."

I scanned him over suspiciously. He was wearing a white blouse and black dress pants and dress shoes. He had his tunnel snake jacket folded over one arm, and his other hand in his pocket. His hair was done the same as always, but something seemed different in his eyes. More surprising, he wore a pale blue tie that matched the hue of his eyes almost exactly. He leaned back against the door, "Freddie Gomez. He's the one that you were comin' here with, right?"

"Yeah."

"And he pretty much chose someone else over you."

I looked at the ground, "Yeah."

He frowned, his voice raising just a tad, "Well that's just bullshit!"

"What do you mean?"

His cheeks were red, and he began pacing around slowly, "I mean, he could've come here with you, and I mean..." He looked me in the eyes, his features relaxing a little before he blushed and spoke again, "I mean, just look at you! You're the best girl in this damn Vault, and Freddie gave you up. It just ain't right, is all! I mean, Angela ain't nothin' compared to you, baby, and..." He sighed, "It just ruffles my feathers is all."

I chuckled, tears again coming to my eyes, but this time for a different reason, "Do you really mean that?"

"Yeah..." He smiled sweetly, nodding his head to the door, "Now what say we get back out there and have a good time?" He held out a hand kindly, and I gently took it, leaning in and giving him a quick kiss before he opened the door and guided me out to the crowd.

A decent song came on, and he put his hands on my waist, me wrapping my arms around the back of his neck, and our body's against each other comfortably. I saw Amata and Paul in the same position, laughing with one another. I smiled up at Butch, who put his jacket at the table before dancing with me again, "Butch?"

He snapped his attention down to me, "Hmm?"

"You wanna punch Freddie in the nose for me?"

His features were serious, "You want me to? I will. I won't hesitate."

I chuckled, resting my head on his shoulder, "Yeah, I know."

He pulled away from me, tucking a strand of hair back behind my ear, "I've liked you for a long time, Y/N... You wanna come over to my place sometime? Maybe watch a film or somethin'?"

I kissed him, "Yeah, I'd like that."

Author's Note
Hope you enjoyed!! Any requests??