Benjamin Montgomery ➵ Joy

Benjamin Montgomery
Fallout 3
Warning: None

I wrapped my leg in bandages, sitting on a cot in our bunker in Alaska

I wrapped my leg in bandages, sitting on a cot in our bunker in Alaska. Tomorrow me and Ben were to go mountain scaling and Red killing. The usual. I ripped the end of the bandage, tucking it under the previous wrap, and pulling my pant leg back down. Ben sat next to me, the mattress sinking down towards him, "Shouldn't go mountain climbing with your leg like that. You might get hurt."

"Oh hush, I'll be fine."

He frowned, clearly worried about me. I guess that's what his job was, being one of my best pals. He spoke with me for a while longer, and we exchanged numerous Chinese-based jokes, and he even showed me some propoganda he managed to get his hands on. He grabbed a pen, and flipped it over, mocking the drawing of China's leader with little to no skill. It was so bad, we were practically wheezing. I felt my leg throb, and quickly calmed myself down. I looked to Benjamin. He was still laughing, the paper slipping onto the floor. He put a palm to his armored stomach and sighed, "Who thought being in a war zone could be such a hoot."

I smiled, "Nobody says 'a hoot' anymore. About anything. Ever."

He chuckled, and we continued talking. Times like these made me happy. Sitting down and chatting and laughing with friends while they might be shot on the battlefield later. Good times. Me and Ben, however, have been in this war together, since the very beginning. When we first became friends, I joked about how the first one to die loses, and it had become a sort of dark joke. We both say that's the reason we're still alive, next to luck of course.

Benjamin was such a pure, light-hearted man, and being in his company had slowly turned my life around, and made me the same. He's the best friend a soldier could ask for.

Author's Note
Hope you enjoyed!! Any requests??