Paladin Danse ➵ Good Morning

Paladin Danse
Fallout 4
Warning: None

I stood in my kitchen, humming and flipping a slab of meat on the pan and listening to the sizzle

I stood in my kitchen, humming and flipping a slab of meat on the pan and listening to the sizzle. I had the radio on and slid around in my socks happily as I went to the fridge for something to add to my dinner. I heard a banging at my door, and froze up, looking at it nervously. I heard some gunfire, then another banging and a soft plea to be let it. I silently picked up a butcher knife in case it was a Raider, and hid it behind my back. I unlocked my front door and opened it, yanking a man in and slamming it behind him.

I slammed his back to the door and held my knife to his neck. He held his hands up a little, showing he was defenseless. I recognized his clothing and stepped back a little, "You're one of those Brotherhood guys, aren't you? What are you doing here?"

I backed off and walked to my kitchen, putting the knife back in it's spot. He followed cautiously, his shoulders tense, "Thank you for your hospitality. My name is Paladin Danse. I... was on a mission and got overwhelmed, so thanks for opening the door."

I raised my brows, "No, kidding! A paladin? My brother left a few days ago to try to get up on that big ship. Should be back around next week."

He clenched his jaw, and looked over his shoulder, "Do you mind if I-"

There was another knock on my door, this time more polite. Danse's eyes locked onto the noise, and he asked where the bathroom was. I told him and he headed that direction as I opened the door. I saw a woman take off the helmet of her power armor, and smile, "Sorry for the intrusion. Me and my team are looking for a missing synth. We think he may have headed over this way, have you seen him?"

I thought for a second, "Actually... yes. He stopped by and I sent him out. He had a look in his eye that I couldn't bring myself to trust. He ran that way."

"That was the look of a traitor. Where did he go?"

I pointed behind my house towards my back door, and the woman thanked me before yelling orders and leaving. I shut the door again, and after a few minutes, the troops left on a large Vertibird. Danse came back out, keeping his eyes on the ground. I walked over, putting a hand on his shoulder and guiding him to my brothers room, "You can stay here until you need to go. You might be the same size as him, so feel free to wear whatever he left here. He took whatever he cares about with him, so just wear whatever. I'm making dinner, so come down when you're ready."

He thanked me quietly, and I shut the door on my way out, making sure I didn't burn the meal I was trying to make. I began making another for Danse, and heard him come down the stairs behind me. He leaned on the counter, speaking slowly, "I suppose you're not an idiot."

I chuckled, "Yeah. Runaway synth, huh? That's a new one. What had you tangled up with the Brotherhood?"

"I am a Paladin. That wasn't a lie, though, now, I'm not so sure. We got back some readings from the Institute and with it, we got a list of escaped synths. Apparently I am one of them."

I let out a low whistle, "I can't imagine..."

"Yes, it's... unfortunate. I understand if you'd like me to leave-"

"What? No, you're perfectly fine. How were the clothes?"

I looked to him, seeing as the flannel and jeans made him lose some tension. He looked down at himself, "They're alright. They fit nice. Thanks again." He got quiet for a second. "Why are you doing this for me?"

I shrugged, serving up two plates, "Because you obviously still have feelings. I mean, your whole life has just been screwed up pretty badly, so... I figured it would be nice to have someone in your corner."

I walked to the table and he followed, sitting across from me and playing with his food. He looked at the floor, "Thanks."

I laughed airily, changing the radio station to something more happy, "Quit saying thanks, Danse. It's really no problem."

He smiled a little, "Yeah, but I just... I feel bad. I don't want to get you tangled up in a mess that you don't need to be included in."

I raised my brows, "If I wasn't ready for trouble, I wouldn't have opened the door."

He chuckled, "Yeah, the knife was unexpected, but understandable." He took a bite of food, "This is really good. Where did you learn to cook?"

I smiled, "Self-taught. I have a lot of free time. I actually have a garden along the side of my house. Wanna see?"

We finished eating and I led him back out my front door after making sure that the Brotherhood was really gone. He followed, and I showed him the small fruit/vegetable garden, and his eyes lit up, "Wow, this is really something. You did this all on your own?"

"For the most part. I'm glad you like it."

"I've always wanted to have a garden, but being in the Brotherhood... There's not really time for calm stuff. It's always fighting off ferals or..." His eyes fell, "Killing synths."

I put a hand on his arm, "Hey, that's behind you. C'mon, I'll make some dessert."

He smiled a little, "I'd like to help if you don't mind. I'm pretty decent at cooking."

We got back inside, and decided on making something small, and decent-tasting. He wasn't lying about being a good cook, and it turned out better than I would have made it. I could get used to having him around.

Author's Note
Hope you enjoyed!! Any requests??