Chapter 147

Chris pov...

We are at the house... The contractor needed us to come and look some things over. We made a quick stop as we had to take Jack to the hospital for his checkup. Ma was watching the twins as we didn't want to drag them along to the hospital. "Bud stay close okay... I dont want you to get hurt..." I say as we walk up to the house... "Dont worry dad... We are going to the hospital anyway..." He says running of leaving me absolutely stunned and Ava laughing... 

The contractor walks up to us with a smirk on his face... "That is one cute kid..." He says and we both smile and nod... "DAD!!! Can i sit on the digger!!!" Jack yells and i groan... "I'll go..." Ava says smirking and excuses herself walking towards Jack who is hanging around the construction guys who are digging for the foundation for ma's little house... "A future contractor in the making..." The contractor says and i smirk. 

"So why i needed you both is because i think i have a nice surprise for you..." The contractor says and i look confused... We wait for Ava who comes back a few minutes later and i look to see Jack sitting next to the guy on the excavator... "Is that safe?" I ask the contractor, and he nods... "They will watch him like a hawk... And they won't be really digging with him on it as it is against regulations..." The contractor says and i nod... 

"Like i said... I have a bit of a surprise for you..." He says and we follow him into the house... "So, as you know we were demolishing the upstairs to start with the new lay out, seeing as the expansion downstairs is ready... And we found something in what used to be the master bedroom..." He says and we look at him confused but follow him up the stairs... When we walk into the master bedroom, we look shocked... There is door... A door that has not been there before... "We found another room..." He says all giddy and Ava and i look at each other... "What is behind it?" Ava asks and the contractor smirks... "How did we not know?" I ask and the contractor pulls out his phone showing us a video of them opening the door with a leaver... "It was a hidden door... You had to pull a leaver and it would open..." The contractor says getting all excited... "This is creepy..." Ava mumbles and i have to agree... 

"Want to see what is behind it?" He asks and Ava hesitates but i nod. She stays behind us a bit as i follow the contractor and he open the door further so we can look inside... "It is a panic room... An old one..." The contractor says all excited and i feel Ava take my hand as she steps in behind me... 

"So, what do you guys want to do with it?" The contractor asks and Ava and i look at each other lost for words... "Can we have a day or two to think it over?" I ask and the contractor nods... "I have seen a lot of things in my career, but this is a first..." He says and we both smile as his excitement is contagious... 

After talking for a bit about possible options we go and pry Jack away from the big machinery. True to their words they stopped working and just showed Jack their equipment. He loved it... But we needed to go... We needed to have lunch before getting to the hospital. While we drove off Ava called ma to check in on the twins... Ma was doing good, and the twins were sleeping... Ma and Ava were good again especially after her parents showed up at ma's house... 

We had sat around the table with the contractor and an architect and designed the perfect little cottage for ma... She was so excited... Like expected Carly was going to take ma's house. They were excited to... We pull up to a little diner and after we have picked a booth i smile as Jack buries his head in the menu. His reading skills improved so much since he was with us... He was still homeschooled as he still was not caught up but after the summer break he would go to a real school. He was so excited and that made us so excited... 

"Mom?" Jack says and Ava smiles at him... "Yes sweetheart?" She says looking up from the menu... "Do you have a brother to?" He asks catching Ava and me of guard. "Uh yes sweetheart... I did... He is not with us anymore..." Ava says her voice strained as she swallows back her tears... "I am sorry mom i didn't mean to make you sad..." Jack says and Ava smiles and kisses the top of his head... "You didn't sweetie... Can you tell me why you are asking?" Ava asks him and i smile as Ava is so strong for putting her own feelings aside to ask why he is asking this...

"I heard you and grandma talking..." He whispers looking a little guilty for eaves dropping. "Do you have questions?" Ava asks and he sighs... "He was not a nice person was he..." Jack says softly and Ava takes a deep breath as tears start to come and she is having trouble... "Sometimes bud... But he was sick because he used drugs, he was addicted..." I say and Jack looks at me... "Just like my first mom..." He says and i take a deep breath... "Yeah bud... Just like your first mom..." I say and he has tears in his eyes... "Does that mean my first mom was a bad person to...?" He asks and i am lost for words not knowing how to respond, guilt washes over me... But Ava steps in...

"No one is born bad sweetheart... Your mom was not a bad person, and my brother wasn't either... But drugs, does things with you... It makes you do things that you never would do otherwise... Your mom loved you so much, but she was sick sweetheart... Addiction is an illness, i know she wished she could be with you... But i know she is looking over you from heaven...." Ava says and i nod smiling as Ava is so much better at this than me... 

Jack is silent for a minute and i can almost hear him thinking... "Can i have pancakes?" He asks and i chuckle and nod... "Anything you want bud..." I say and smile at Ava who pulls Jack closer hugging him tight... "Mom... Can't breathe..." He says and Ava chuckles and lets him go... "Sorry sweetheart... Just love you so much..." She says and Jack smiles... "Love you to mom..." He says and we all smile... "Hey what am i... Chopped liver?" I say smirking and Jack giggles... "Love you to dad..." He whispers blushing and i grin... "Love you to bud..." I say...

After we had something to eat, we make our way to the hospital. We are waiting in the waiting room. A few days ago, Ava had taken Jack for some tests and today we would get the results of them... We were nervous but Jack was growing and didn't feel sick, so we are not too worried... 

"Jack Evans?!" We hear and i smile... Sometimes that still catches me off guard... I am a dad... This kid has my last name and calls me dad... The most amazing kid i could ever wish for...

We stand up and walk towards the doctor... I take Ava's hand as Jack runs up to the doctor and high fives him... The doctor smiles and lets Jack in his office before shaking our hands. He steps aside and we walk into his office... He follows us and closes the door behind him before walking to his desk and sitting down. 

"So, Jack... How are you doing?" The doctor asks him and Jack smiles... "I am going to school after the summer break..." He says with excitement... The doctor looks at him and my heart sinks as he smiles at Jack, but the smile does not reach his eyes...