Greatest Love Story

*Inspired By: Great Love Story by LANCo*

Josh's POV

"They said I was nothing but a troublemaker never up to no good. You were the perfect all American girl"

"Again?" Andrew asks as I walk out of the principal's office for the third time this month. I roll my eyes and brush past him as I catch the eye of the gorgeous blonde waiting at the reception desk for the detention slips that she would dutifully pass out to the troublemakers of the school which is coincidentally how we met. She had walked into my third period geometry class and I couldn't help but become entranced by the girl.

To most people around here she was another face in the crowd but to me she the girl of my dreams, the girl I thought about way more than I'd ever admit to anyone but as the school bad boy there was no way I'd ever convince her to like me. "In trouble again?" she teases, leaning against the desk and my eyes widen as I realize she's talking to me. I laugh.

"Something like that" I agree. I suppose cussing out the lunch lady wasn't the best idea. It wasn't her fault that there was mold growing on my bread, it the fault of whatever shitty company catered our food. "Ms. Carey running behind schedule today?" I ask curiously.

She sighs, looking into the attendance office and rolls her eyes. "You'd think that I had all day" she huffs and she takes me aback with her snippy attitude. I never thought Maya Hunter could be snippy. "Where are you off to?" she asks curiously, looking past me at Andrew before settling her gaze back onto me.

"Anywhere but class" I reply and her lips quirk into a smile as she looks back at the glass windows of the office, seemingly battling in her head about what to do.

"Count me in" she says decisively and my heart skips a beat as she runs towards me.

"You was sneaking out your window every night riding shotgun in my car. We go to the river and find us a spot and we probably went a little too far"

Maya comes to her window and holds up her finger to signal that she'd be down in a second and I chuckle as I watch her rushing around her room. No matter how many times she'd sneak out to see me she always acted as frazzled as the first.

After about three minutes she finally slides into my passenger seat wearing a yellow sundress and a pair of black flats and I can't help but reach across the console to press my lips against hers. "You look gorgeous babe" I compliment. She smiles brightly.

"Thanks. You look good yourself" she replies as her eyes rake down my figure appreciatively. I smirk, putting the car in drive and peeling out of her driveway resulting her in shushing me while a string of giggles fall from her lips. I smile, heading off towards the river where we've spent way too many evenings as of late but I couldn't help myself. I was addicted to Maya Hunter and I never wanted to be sober again.

I park the car and it takes all of five seconds until she's on my lap and our lips are connected in a passionate kiss. I splay my hands out on her back, slowly inching them lower until they fall to the hem of her dress and I sneak my hand underneath. Our lips disconnect and she begins trailing her lips down my neck while I slip my hands under her lace panties. "Josh" she sighs while I continue to pleasure her until her hands fall to my belt and she loosens it under her fumbling fingers.

I pull back and stare at her with wide eyes. "Are you sure?" I ask softly and she nods her head.

"I'm sure" she confirms before leaning back in to kiss me.

"You went off to college and I got a job I was working that 9 to 5. Dreaming of the days when you were in my arms... but you went off to find better"

I lean against the garage watching as she packs up her car and fight back tears. I always knew she would go places...I just thought I'd be going with her but here I am, preparing to let her go while I stay in our dead-end little town. She turns to face me and my heart breaks as I notice the tears pooling in her eyes. She throws her arms around me and sobs into my shoulder as she holds me. "I'm gonna miss you" she whispers.

"Not nearly as much as I'll miss you" I reply, clutching her that much tighter. I lose track of how long we stand there until finally we pull apart and she wipes under her eyes. "I love you" I tell her.

"I love you more" she murmurs before turning on her heels and walking towards her car. She takes one last look at me before climbing in and leaving me behind.

*************************************************************************************

"She's not coming home" Katy tells me over coffee a week before Christmas. I knew something was up when she asked to talk to be but I couldn't believe it when she told me just what it was and now I wish I could unhear it.

Maya had a boyfriend and she was going to meet his family over the break.

"Josh are you alright?" she asks and I scoff, nodding my head as I take a long sip of my coffee, wishing more than anything that it were a stiff drink.

"Of course I am. We've been nothing more than friends for years. It's fine" I lie while my heart breaks inside my chest. She gives me an apologetic smile and I offer her a fake one in response.

I was fine...I had to be.

"You came back after a long four years. Your college boyfriend didn't work out so we went out for a couple of drinks to find out who we are now"

I'm losing at darts for the fourth time tonight when I notice her. Her hair is shorter and her body is a bit curvier but she's still as gorgeous as she was the day I met her when she handed me that detention slip. I drop the dart in my hand and the thud causes her eyes to flicker towards me. My heart skips a beat as her eyes light up and she starts towards me. "Josh?"

"Maya" I breathe out. She laughs, throwing her arms around me and I revel in the feeling of having her in my arms again.

"I missed you" she murmurs as I clutch onto her as if she were my lifeline.

"I missed you more" I reply making her chuckle as she pulls away from me. "You look gorgeous sweetheart. W-what are you doing back home?" I ask curiously. I had heard a few months back that her and her boyfriend had finally called it quits but I didn't know she was expected to return home.

"Honestly?" she asks, biting her lip as she looks up at me. "I wanted to see you again." My eyes widen. "It seems that despite my best efforts I sorta kinda never got over you."

I chuckle as my heart beats out of my chest and stare at her in disbelief. "I guess somethings never change."

"I went to the store and I bought you a ring and I got down on one knee"

Eleven perfect months and I know without a doubt that she's the love of my life...not that I ever had a shadow of a doubt. We're driving towards the river and she giggles as I put the car in park.

"What are we doing here?" she asks confusedly. "We aren't sixteen anymore" she reminds me amusedly.

"I know" I smile, pulling open my door and motioning her to follow me. She rolls her eyes in amusement but follows me nevertheless. I stop in front of the car and look up at her lovingly. "You're the love of my life Maya. I've known it since we were kids and I'm even more sure of it now. We had time apart but we came back together even stronger and I never want to be away from you ever again. I love you Maya Hunter and I want you to be my wife. Will you marry me?"

A giddy grin spreads across her lips as she nods her head. "Yes" she exclaims excitedly. "A thousand times yes" she agrees as I slip the ring onto her finger. "Oh my god" she says dazedly and I can't help the way my heart skips a beat.

Our love story may have had lots of ups and downs but to us it would always be the greatest one the world has ever seen.