10 Years Laters...

Hi lovelies... it's been a while.
Are you all streaming Please Please Please and Espresso? Trying to win the Ticketmaster war for Sabrina tickets???
GMW has been at the forefront of my mind lately, with everyone finally realizing the queen that Sabrina Carpenter has always been, and then I realized that TODAY marks TEN. YEARS. since Girl Meets World premiered, and it seemed like too important of a milestone to miss.
So, without further ado, a little something to celebrate our little show.
Happy 10 Years of GMW 💙💚

♥︎♡♥︎♡♥︎♡♥︎♡♥︎♡

Josh's POV

Six words. It only took six words for my entire world to come crashing down around me. And at my kitchen table no less. Can't a man eat pancakes in peace anymore without their thirteen year old daughter trying to rip their heart out of their chest.

"I want to ride the subway." Hope repeats herself, I'm assuming because no one has responded. I'm too stunned, and I don't think my wife had heard her over the sound of the espresso machine beeping.

"The subway?" I ask, praying that I heard her wrong. Maybe she wants Subway for lunch. I can make that happen. No problem. But the subway... the underground, public transit system wherein my own niece met her now-husband; that subway?

"Yea. A popular New York mode of transportation." Hope confirms with every ounce of sass that she inherited from her mother.

"Why do you need to ride the subway when you can get a ride from Riley?" My niece followed in my brother's footsteps and took a job at John Quincy Adams right out of college. She's been taking Hope and her own daughter to school since the girls were enrolled.

Maya comes to take a seat beside me, bringing a steaming cup of coffee to her lips. I assume she knew I didn't need the caffeine after this particularly riling conversation.

Meanwhile, she's the epitome of relaxed, still in her pajamas with her hair tied up in a bun and fuzzy slippers on her feet. Being a freelance artist has it's perks and not having a set schedule it one of them. She usually doesn't start work until the house is clear, and even then, most days, she'll stay in her pajamas all day.

Maybe I'll take off and get back in my pajamas to join her. Lord knows I'll need a day of rest after the ensuing argument with our daughter.

"Well, for starters," my daughter argues, "the subway was literally Aunt Riley's idea."

"What?" I exclaim, my fork clattering onto my plate as it falls out of my hand. Beside me, I glimpse the smallest smile on my wife's lips. "Why would she suggest something so crazy?"

This time, my wife can't contain her smile or her laughter for that matter. I turn to glare at her. "Did you know about this?" I demand.

Maya shrugs, wiggling her friendship ring in my face. It rests snugly on her right ring finger opposite her wedding band on her left hand. "Riles mentioned it the other day. I didn't know it was something that Hope really wanted, but regardless, there's no reason to be so dramatic. I rode the subway when I was her age."

"You also snuck out to a college party, do you suggest she do that too?" I snap, albeit a tad harshly.

Immediately, the vibe in the room sours, and my wife turns politely to our daughter.

"Hope, honey. Why don't you go finish getting ready. I'll take you to school today, and we'll revisit the subway topic next week."

Lucky for my mental health, today is Friday, so we have all weekend to get her off this preposterous subway idea.

Hope nods, listening to her mother and heading upstairs. Meanwhile, I'm now on the receiving end of a death glare as my wife drops the polite facade.

"Do you remember who I snuck out to see at that college party?" My wife asks, as if I could forget. That night changed a lot for me, mainly how I saw Maya Hart. That night, she went from my niece's annoying sidekick to...Maya. A brave girl who would become the strong, independent woman I would marry years later.

"Do you remember who Riley met on the subway?" I counter, and no sooner do the words leave my lips that my wife's features soften. The furrow in her brows relaxing as her hand moves to cover mine.

"You're scared." A statement, not a question.

"You're not?" I ask, completely at a loss. "I thought we had more time."

"So does every parent." Maya scoots closer, moving her other hand to cup my jaw. "She's growing up. And it's new and scary... but we're in this together."

My shoulders finally relax, and I lean into Maya's touch. "Always." I confirm, placing a gentle kiss on her palm where it's still resting on my cheek. "And I'm sorry. I shouldn't have snapped, especially not in front of Hope, but the second that 's' word left her mouth, I suddenly saw her entire life flash before my eyes. No one prepares you for when your kids are ready to start taking on the world without you."

"I know," she nods solemnly. "But you're not doing it alone. Remember the insanely motivated blonde who snuck into an aforementioned college party at fourteen years old?" My lips quirk into a smile for the first time since Hope mentioned the subway.

Maya leans in and places a soft kiss to my lips, continuing as she pulls away. "We've been playing the long game ever since, and there's no one else I'd rather have on my team while we navigate raising a teenager."

"Even when I speak before I think?"

She hums, placing another longer, lingering kiss on my lips. "Especially then because you ask for forgiveness so well."

"Oh, I do, do I?" I tease, diving in for another kiss and deepening it this time. And if it weren't for the thirteen year old who clears her throat in the kitchen's entryway, we may've forgotten ourselves and made use of the dining room table in more creative ways, but alas.

"You guys are especially nauseating after an argument." She complains, her hand on the strap of her backpack presumably awaiting Maya to detach herself from me to take her to school.

"There was no arguing." Maya retorts, placing one last chaste kiss to my lips before standing up. "Just a conversation. You ready to go to school?"

"I guess." She sighs, following Maya as she starts to head out the door. But before she can get too far...

"Hope." I call, causing her to turn back to face me. "We'll go get you a Metro card this weekend."

And even though I'm absolutely terrified at the thought of my daughter taking on the world without me, the smile on her and her mother's face reassure me.

It's not the end of the world, but the beginning of a whole new one.