Chapter 99 - the golden dragon

8 months later.

Princess Jariella sits with her aunt and mother in-law, queen Brianna and the queen's women's court, Jariella is heavy with child, grimacing when she feels the child kick. She gasps when she feels her water break.
"Your grace, the child is on the way", Jariella says calmly, with all the grace of her mother, the queen's sister, lady Lyra of houses Lannister and Stark, to the queen.
"Send for the maester and the earth mother for my niece", queen Brianna says, getting up to help her niece back to her rooms. "And send for the prince."
"Your grace, it's against tradition for menfolk to be present during child birth", one of the queen's ladies says.

Queen Brianna turns around and backhands the girl so hard that she staggers backwards a bit before finding her footing.
"Princess Jariella's own father, Jaime of house Lannister, the golden lion, the lord and master of Casterly Rock, the warden of the west and shield of Lannisport, were present by my sister's side during the birth of all his children, and if Tywin Lannister's son was permitted to be present during the birth of his children, so is the old lion's granddaughter's husband", queen Brianna says sharply.
"Yes, your grace", the servant girl says. "Pardon me."

Prince Jaehaerys bursts in through the door and rushes over to his lady wife.
"Jaehaerys?" Jariella says, disoriented.
"I'm here, I'm here, my love", prince Jaehaerys says, sitting down beside the bed where Jariella lays.
"Jaehaerys, it hurts, help me", Jariella whimpers.
"Pycelle, milk of the poppy for my lady, now", Jaehaerys says in a commanding tone.
"Yes, my prince", grand maester Pycelle says, getting milk of the poppy for Jariella.

Pycelle hands a cup of mild milk of the poppy to prince Jaehaerys who in turn holds it to Jariella's lips.
"Drink, my love", prince Jaehaerys says.

Jariella drinks some of the milk of the poppy and pushes a couple times until she and Jaehaerys hears the earth mother's voice.
"A boy, your grace, a boy", the earth mother says, cutting the umbilical cord and hands the boy over to the helping women for washing.

When he is washed and wrapped up in clean linen, he is handed back to Jariella.
"What should we name him?" Jaehaerys asks with a proud little smile.
"I don't know, what do you think?" Jariella asks.
"Jaime? For your father?" Jaehaerys says with a raised eyebrow.
"Jaime Targaryen? I like it", Jariella says, planting a gentle kiss on her son's bronze colored hair, gently looking into her son's violet eyes.
"Jaime Targaryen, the golden dragon, welcome to the world", Jaehaerys says. "Pycelle, get the king and queen in here to meet their new grandson, and send ravens to Casterly Rock and Winterfell, to lady Jariella's family at the Rock and her family at Winterfell."
"Yes, my prince", grand maester Pycelle says, going to get queen Brianna and king Rhaegar and to send ravens to Jaime and Lyra and princess Jariella's brothers at Casterly Rock and to Jariella's Stark relatives at Winterfell.

A couple minutes later, there's a knock on the door, Jaehaerys nods at the servants and they go to open the door. In the door, king Rhaegar, queen Brianna, lord Tyrion, lady Sansa and lord Tywin with lady Joanna stands, smiling.
"Come in and meet your new prince", prince Jaehaerys says. "This is Jaime Targaryen."
"For your lord father, m'lady?" Tyrion asks his niece.
"Yes, m'lord hand, for my lord father, the golden lion of Lannister", Jariella says.
"I'm not just king Rhaegar's royal hand right now, I'm also your very proud uncle, m'lady", Tyrion says, smiling sweetly.
"Thank you, uncle", Jariella says, smiling back at her uncle.
"He looks a lot like his grandfather, and like his royal father", Tywin says.
"Thank you, grandfather", Jariella says.

A couple days later, a raven arrives at Casterly Rock. The letter is handed over to Bronn and he brings it to Jaime in the great hall where he sits with Lyra and their sons.
"A letter from King's Landing, m'lord, from the king's hand, your lordship's brother", Bronn says, handing over the letter to Jaime and he breaks the seal and starts reading, eyes glittering with tears of joy.
"We have a grandson", Jaime says. "And you boys have a nephew, and the realm has a new heir, Jariella has given birth to a little boy that she and prince Jaehaerys have decided to name Jaime Targaryen."
"They're naming our grandson after you, my love?" Lyra says with a teary eyed smile, getting up to hug Jaime.