HANDS

We watched a movie in bed when we got back to our room, but we still had 4 or so hours before meeting the others for dinner. "We're so fucking lazy." Oli laughed with a yawn when the movie ended. He wasn't wrong. I had done yoga, but that was about all I'd done since I got there! "We should go for a walk or something." I suggested. Oli looked in the hotel guide thing for inspiration and we decided to head off for a walk down to what the hotel says is the best beach in Acapulco. It was half an hour away by foot, but we were both up for the walk. 

We headed down the beach, past the bar and restaurant and out of the confines of the resort. We walked nearly the entire way along the beach, but had to cut through a little area of mangroves with a murky creek through the middle. I knew we had to cross it, and Oli wandered straight through it like it was no big deal, but I hesitated. I had a bit of a phobia of murky water, so I tried to look and see if I could see anything in there. I wasn't just going to walk straight in like he did! "What are you doing?" Oli asked from the other side.
"I'm just checking there's nothing in there that will bite me or something." I laughed.
"Oh my God." Oli said like he thought I was being such a girl. "It's fine, there's nothing in there." he added with a laugh. I took a deep breath and quickly hopped across the water as quickly as I could while Oli just laughed at me.

There were quite a lot of people on the beach when we came out the other side of the mangroves, especially in the patrolled zone not too far past the river, so we kept walking another kilometre or two to a spot that was much quieter. Oli kept paying me out about my little freak out at the river and I hit him and shoved him toward the water for teasing me. God he was such a shithead! We sat on the sand just watching the waves as the tide went out, and I stripped my shirt off to lay in the sun for a while to top up my tan. Oli did the same and I took the opportunity to ask him about his tattoos as I propped myself up on my elbows and inspected them. I guess I'd never seen them in the daylight so closely or when I had so much free time. He told me stories about some of them and admitted a couple of them were lost dares and time seemed to just disappear as I listened to him. I was crazy about his accent and could listen to him talk all day.

We pulled our shirts back on and sat back up to watch almost everyone clear off the beach as the sun started going down and the light of day started to disappear. Oli started throwing a stick to a stray dog that came to see us, so I just packed up our towels and watched the sun set as Oli ran around with his new friend on the sand flats created by the low tide. There was something about that moment, about being there alone with him in that secluded place. It felt 'normal', like he wasn't Oli from his band anymore... he wasn't the Oli I met back in America. He just seemed removed from that life, like that side of him was left back at the resort, and he seemed happy... I guess that was probably because he had a new, furry best friend to play with, lol. As the sun fell below the horizon, the sky morphed into shades of deep blue and bright orange and they reflected back off the sand flats like a mirror. It was gorgeous, and the way Oli's dark silhouette jumped off the colours was spectacular. "Oli. Stop for a sec." I said as he walked back toward me. I aimed my phone at him and squatted down as he stopped, and when his furry friend got beside him, I snapped a photo.

"Oh wow." Oli said when I stood up and showed him. "That's amazing. Can you tag me in that?" he asked. I'd been posting photos of him, but I'd never tagged him in any of them - maybe as a way to maintain some of his privacy or something... I didn't really know, but of course if he asked me to, I would. I uploaded the photo and tagged him as he threw the stick for the dog one last time.

 I uploaded the photo and tagged him as he threw the stick for the dog one last time