Are we friends?

He doesn't know, he told himself, he didn't know how much those three words hurt. "On your left." They were three small words but they always hurt. He'd never be good enough, would he? He'd always be behind, no one even wanted him around. Everyone on the team has something to give. Except him. No one even wanted him there, he had nothing to give to the team so why was he there? He didn't know.

He walked into the lounge to see most of the group there talking with Peter, the kid with a golden heart and such talent. He just walked through silently to the elevator and made his way to the labs floor. He needed to speak with Tony. Steve and Bucky watched their friend walk through not even picking joking fun at Peter, just keeping silent before looking at each other. Something was wrong.

Sam knocked on the door of Tony's lab since he couldn't get in without being let in. Tony had been sat making blueprints when the door was knocked on. "BB2 is at the door," FRIDAY spoke softly.

"Let him in," Tony spoke turning towards the door as it opened. "Sam?" He asked softly gesturing for the man to come in. They didn't talk often so he knew it was important for him to be there.

Sam just walked over to the couches in the corner of the room for stakeout projects, and if Peter felt tired, and collapsed down, pulling his hair with his hands in panic. Tony, noticing the signs of distress immediately walked over and gently pulled his hands away, holding them as he sat next to the man. "Hey, now, none of that. It won't help, trust me," Tony spoke softly just holding his teammates hands softly as the man finally looked at him, tears in his eyes.

Sam just rested his head on Tony's shoulder and cried. He felt safe to do so with the man, he knew that Tony wouldn't judge him or hold it against him for it. Tony just held the man as he broke down until the door was opened. Tony looked to see Peter come in quietly. "Can I do anything to help Mr Wilson?" He whispered.

"Pete, can you keep this a secret? Can you fetch a cold water bottle?" Tony asked softly as Peter walked over to the men. Peter gently tapped Sam's arm causing the man to turn his head to look at him tiredly. He'd begun to calm down by this point but not a lot. Peter gently hugged the man, Sam hugging back in gentle thanks.

"I won't say anything, I'll be back," Peter spoke before leaving. Sam just rested his head on Tony's chest as the man's arms came back around his body.

"What's wrong? You're never like this?" Tony asked gently, not enforcing a response or trying to pry.

"Why am I here? I know why everyone else is, why me? What are the benefits of me being here? How did you put up with your dad and Cap?" Sam asked softly. He didn't expect answers.

"Well, you're an incredible fighter with or without the wings. You make the missions fun with your banter. You're our family, Sam. That isn't changing. Even if you think you aren't, you know you are. You know Peter's someone you pick on but the second he needs it you're by his side fighting for him like a protective older brother. Has his words finally got to you? I haven't actually ever gotten over it. My entire life I was told that he was better than me in every way. Everyone loved him more than me, even my parents. I just hid the hatred until I couldn't and then the civil war happened. I assume that's why you came to me, right?" Tony spoke softly as Peter came back with the water bottle.

"I got one with the spouty lid, it's easy to sip water after being upset, I'd know, and these bottles help make it easier. Is that okay?" Peter asked softly handing Sam the bottle. Sam just pulled him into a hug in thanks. Peter hugged back before going over to his table and beginning his work.

"'On your left'. He never stops saying it when I'm training, as if he knows he's better and just showing off. I don't know, I just don't feel like part of the team," Sam spoke softly going back to their previous conversation.