Filler chapter 61

PLEASE DO NOT READ IF YOU DONT WANT SPOILERS FOR GUARDIANS 3, I WATCHED IT IN THE CINEMA THIS AFTERNOON (3.5.23) AND IT IS SO GOOD!!

⚠️ THIS WAS YOUR FINAL WARNING ⚠️

He knew he'd almost died, he had died, Peter brought him back to life. They fought another battle before the guardians parted ways.

Rocket was now the captain of the guardians, the new guardians and he got along with them. He just missed his closest friends. Peter had gone home, back to earth and his grandfather, Gamora didn't remember them, she was the past version of herself. Mantis wanted to be on her own and Drax went to do his thing. Groot had stayed with him, but other than that, he'd lost his friends.

He wished he'd died, you know. He'd seen his friends he'd watched die in front of him (Floor, Lylla and Teefs), they talked to him in the halfway point. He came back to be with his friends as advised by them, just for them all to leave him, with a very short goodbye.

It was a month after all of this where he just needed his best friend. So, he got the new guardians into the ship and set off for earth. He landed the ship at the park down the road from where Quill was staying.

Peter had been outside with his grandfather when the ship landed causing him to sigh. "Oh gosh," he said before getting up and pushing past the crowd of people and got to the ship just as the new guardians got out.

Rocket just climbed up him and sat on his shoulder and sighed in remembrance of the last time he was close to the man.

"Guys, what wrong?" Peter asked, ready to hop on if they need his help.

"Don't know," Cosmo replied.

"I am Groot," Groot said softly.

"Rocket, you okay?" Peter asked softly, looking up at the man after hearing Groot say there was something wrong with him. Rocket slid into Peter's arms and just nuzzled into his arms. Peter began walking to his grandfathers house, waving away the neighbours with the others following. They all sat outside talking with Peter's grandfather whilst Peter walked Rocket up to his room, not letting go of the raccoon.

"Rocket, what's wrong?" Peter asked, sitting on his bed with the raccoon in his arms, sat on his lap - much like a child with their parents. Rocket just laid into Peter's chest, but didn't speak, so the man just stroked his fur, until he was ready to talk. "How's the group getting on?" He asked as a distraction.

"Really well, I guess. I just missed you," Rocket said, tears in his eyes as he nuzzled into the man's chest. Peter smiled sadly and just held him tighter.

"Hey, I missed you too. Come visit me anytime. Don't worry, I've got you," Peter said as he felt the tears drop onto his chest. "I'd tease you for coming all this way to see me, but I'm really glad you're here," he added causing Rocket to let out a dry laugh. Peter pulled him back and wiped his eyes softly. "There's no need to cry, I'm right here," Peter said softly.

His bedroom door opened so they looked over and saw Groot in the doorway. He'd shrunk himself to fit in the house. "I am Groot?" The wooden man asked if he could come in.

"Come in, Groot," Rocket said softly, leaning into Peter's chest but looking at his pseudo-son.

"I am Groot?" The man asked again, asking if Rocket was okay.

"No, I'm fine, was just a little homesick. Don't worry," Rocket said softly. Peter felt his heart flutter that home was with him. He was homesick too, he really missed the group, so much. He was glad to have seen some of them. He pulled the raccoon closer to himself, not noticeable to outside perspectives.

"I am Groot?" Groot asked, confirming if Rocket was sure or not.

"Yeah, I'm fine, I promise. Can we go outside now?" The raccoon asked. Peter went to put him down, but Rocket climbed back onto his shoulder, so he just walked like that. Groot followed them silently as they made their way outside, sitting down and talking over some barbecue that his grandfather was making.

Peter had Rocket on his shoulder and knew his friend was putting on his captain persona, the one he knew well, his hidden emotions side of him and was just happy that the raccoon didn't do that with him. I mean, they were best friends after all. Groot kept his eye on both of them, they were his brothers and meant a lot to him, he'd always watch over them.

The new guardians stayed for a while before leaving back to the ship. Peter decided to leave for a while with them. He could come back to earth in a few days, which in the galaxy was a couple of months. So, he left for a while. He wanted to keep an eye on Rocket, just to make sure he was okay. He wasn't, he knew he wasn't.

One night, after all the others had gone to bed, Peter came and sat on the passenger seat of the ship, Rocket in the drivers seat. "How are you doing?" Peter asked Rocket softly.

"A little better. When are you going back?" Rocket asked softly.

"I'm spending five earth days here, so I've got a couple months left, it's been three earth days so two months," Peter said softly, knowing that his friend had just deflected the question.

"M'kay," Rocket said half heartedly.

"But, I can join you up here whenever you need, just come pick me up, yeah. Not just for the missions, but for anything," Peter assured his friend.

"Thanks," Rocket said softly.

"I am Groot," Groot said gently, coming over to them. He'd asked if they needed help.

"No, G, we're okay. Just talking. How have you been?" Peter asked him softly.

"I am Groot," Groot said, saying that he's been okay.