War is over

Steve was sat on the roof of avengers tower, sketchbook in hand, drawing a Christmas tree that New York had put up this year. It was a stunning tree. It was his first Christmas having his best friend back, he'd never been happier.

So this is Christmas
And what have you done
Another year over
And a new one just begun
And so this is Christmas
I hope you have fun
The near and the dear ones
The old and the young

Steve sat drawing, thinking of the year he's just had, the battles and the relaxing nights. He's never felt so happy to have loved another year as he did this year gone. He looked down and saw a mother holding a child in her arms, could hear them giggling from where they were walking.

A very Merry Christmas
And a Happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear

Steve finished his drawing and closed the sketchbook, standing and going back inside. He smiled, seeing his family all playing around, laughing and giggling with each other. This is what happiness felt like. He held up a finger slightly and FRIDAY took a photo of the scene for his scrapbook. This, this is what his life was like now. No bombings every five minutes, no air raid shelters, no fear daily. He was happy. He'd never thought he'd love to see the day he was truly happy.

And so this is Christmas (ooh)
For weak and for strong (ooh)
For rich and the poor ones (ooh)
The war is so long (ooh)

He leaned on the door frame whilst he watched Sam and Bucky tackle each other in play fight. He watched Tony tickle Peter whilst Pepper sat with Wanda and Natasha. He saw Rhodey laughing with Thor, Loki and Bruce. His heart melted. He could feel the happiness and love in the room.

And so happy Christmas (war is over)
For black and for white (if you want it)
For yellow and red ones (war is over)
Let's stop all the fight (now)

His eyes filled with tears. He felt such overwhelming sensations of love and happiness that it caused him to cry. He'd never felt such affection around him, in the air, it was all around him. It made him feel so overwhelmed and ecstatic.

A very Merry Christmas
And a Happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear

Bucky could sense him there, turning to look at him. He stood and walked over to him, as Sam focused on Rhodey's conversation. Bucky wrapped an arm around Steve's shoulder softly. "You okay, punk?" He asked softly.

Steve just nodded, leaning into the embrace with a smile, still watching their family. "I'm happy, jerk. This is the happiest I've ever felt," he said softly. Bucky just kissed the top of his head softly.

"Yeah, me too. Come join us," he said softly.

Steve shook his head gently. Bucky nodded and left him be.

And so this is Christmas (ooh)
And what have we done (ooh)
Another year over (ooh)
And a new one just begun (ooh)

Tony noticed Steve next. He stood and walked over, Peter following before leading the man out the room to the kitchen.

"You okay, Steve? You can come in the room, you know," Tony said as he got mugs out of the cabinet to begin making hot chocolates for the group. Peter and Steve helped him.

"I know, I'm just savouring this year. It's the happiest I've ever been, I want to remember it," Steve said gently. Peter just hugged him softly.

"I'm so happy for you. This is how life should be," Peter said gently.

Steve just smiled again, looking at Tony over Peter's shoulder. The man smiled back at him. Peter pulled back and Tony hugged Steve, leaving Peter to pour the drinks.

"Love you, Capsicle," Tony said softly.

"Love you too," Steve said gently.

And so happy Christmas (war is over)
We hope you have fun (if you want it)
The near and the dear ones (war is over)
The old and the young (now)

Steve took the drinks out, hugging each person he passed them to, but not talking about why he was doing so. Getting to Bucky, the man he'd called his best friend for ninety years kissed his cheek as gently as possible.

"Thanks, punk," Bucky said with a slight laugh.

Steve moved over to pass Sam a drink whilst looking at Bucky. Steve hugged Sam before talking to Bucky.

"You're welcome, jerk," he said softly.

The others watched the interaction, but Steve kept smiling. He felt so relaxed.

They all snuggled down on the floor around each other, except Rhodey, Bruce and Tony who all sat on the couch behind them. Steve felt an arm come around his shoulder, looking back up at who it was, seeing it was Tony. He leaned back onto the man's legs.

He loved his family.

A very Merry Christmas
(And a Happy New Year) Ooh, oh
(Let's hope it's a good one) It' a good, it's a good one
Without any fear
And so this is Christmas (war is over)
And what have we done (if you want it)
Another year over (war is over)

They watched a movie, Tony keeping his arm around Steve. He really felt so calm with these people.

And a new one just begun (now)

"Merry Christmas, everyone," Steve said aloud.

"Merry Christmas," was repeated by them all.

Tony bent and kissed the back of Steve's head gently, before bending down to whisper in his ear. "This is how your life will be from now on. I love you," he whispered softly.

Steve smiled, resting his head back to look up at Tony's face, the man smiling back at him. Tony just kissed his forehead before they settled down to their movie night.