Happier

Walking down 29th and Park
I saw you in another's arms
Only a month we've been apart
You look happier

Chris was watching interviews of Anthony and Sebastian. They were promoting their spin-off television show on Disney+ called The Falcon and The Winter Soldier. They were giggling and laughing at all intervals, they were always joking and it hurts. Before the show the two were close friends, but they were both closer to Chris than each other. And now, now they barely spoke to Chris. And that hurt the actor more than he thought it ever could.

Saw you walk inside a bar
He said somethin' to make you laugh
I saw that both your smiles were twice as wide as ours
Yeah, you look happier, you do

Chris was in a restaurant sat alone because he couldn't be bothered to prepare food when Sebastian and Anthony walked past him, disregarding him and not even noticing him as they laughed and giggled together. He sighed. They really did seem happier together than either ever was when they were friends with him. They sat a few tables away in the empty restaurant, but Chris could hear their inside jokes and conversations from his table. It hurt. A lot.

Ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you
But ain't nobody love you like I do
Promise that I will not take it personal, baby
If you're movin' on with someone new

He knew he'd have to show the world that it wasn't hurting him. He was an actor, acting came so easily to him. He could pretend he wasn't hurt until he was safe in the comfort of his own home. He could be upset and hurt there, but in public it was not to be spoken about. He loved both of them, but he could see they were happier without him. He'd have to let their friendship go, it didn't seem to bother them so why should it bother him?

'Cause baby you look happier, you do
My friends told me one day I'll feel it too
And until then I'll smile to hide the truth
But I know I was happier with you

He'd always known he wasn't worth the time and the effort of others. It's why he'd never gotten the chance for marriage, for the life he longed to have more than anything. He was through with Marvel, Anthony was the new Captain America, he did other movies and shows, but his heart wasn't in it anymore. Maybe he needed a vacation. A nice long one that was basically saying 'I quit'. He looked towards Anthony and Sebastian and smiled before standing and leaving the restaurant. He was happy they were happy. They both deserved it.

He missed Anthony and Sebastian looking towards him many times whilst he was spaced out, hoping their friend was okay. "He's not doing good, is he?" Sebastian asked as they watched their best friend leave the restaurant.

"No, I've not heard from him in a while. He doesn't look like he's doing well mentally," Anthony replied. They both sighed.

Chris got home and was packing a suitcase. He was leaving. He didn't know where or for how long, he just knew that he needed to leave. He had a bottle of alcohol with him that he was drinking slowly.

Sat in the corner of the room
Everything's reminding me of you
Nursing an empty bottle
And telling myself you're happier, aren't you?
(Hey, yeah, hey, yeah, hey, yeah)

He could see things that reminded him of his once friends. He loved both of them, but maybe it was best if he cut ties with them both. It would only make them happier without him bothering him, and it only made him hurt, but as long as they were happy, it didn't matter, right?

Oh, ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you (hey, yeah, hey, yeah)
But ain't nobody need you like I do (hey, yeah, hey, yeah)
I know that there's others that deserve you (hey, yeah, hey, yeah)
But my darlin', I am still in love with you

He grabbed his TV remote, giving up packing. He would leave tomorrow since he'd been drinking. He sat on his couch and watched a few Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan compilations, seeing how much they truly loved each other and how happy they seemed to be. He smiled before switching it off. He was happy for them, he always would be. He wanted the best for them, even if they didn't want the best for him.

Anthony and Sebastian were watching through the lounge window. They'd come to check on him and were shocked to see him watch compilations of them together. What was wrong with the man? They went round to the back yard as the back door opened and Dodger came running out. Chris shut the door and sat in his kitchen waiting to let his beloved dog back in. Dodger came straight to his 'uncles' and snuggled them both.

But I guess you look happier, you do
My friends told me one day I'll feel it too
I could try to smile to hide the truth
But I know I was happier with you
Hey, yeah, hey, yeah, hey, yeah

Chris could see the men from the kitchen window, figured they would have come. He watched them play with his dog for a minute before they made their way into the kitchen. He could see them outside, he saw how happy they were together. It brought him peace, to know they were relaxed and happy together.

'Cause baby, you look happier, you do
I knew one day you'd fall for someone new

He welcomed them into his home as they let themselves in. He sat and spoke with them, acting like nothing was wrong, playing the character of the man he grew up to be. His thoughts in his head making him realise how happy his friends were together. He was so proud of them. Anthony had really brought out the best in Sebastian, the latter had always been shy and introverted, but Anthony stopped that. He looked after him.

But if he breaks your heart like lovers do
Just know that I'll be waitin' here for you

He knew, he knew that if either of them hurt the other that he'd be there for them. But, he knew that wouldn't happen. He lead them out of the door two hours later and smiled as they joked getting into the car and leaving. He took himself into his home and smiled as he closed the front door.

He would be fine. He knew he would. He knew his friends were happy together, and maybe in the future he could bring himself to be mentally ready to be close with them again.

'I'm alright, don't worry about me. Just going through a rough mental health patch. I'll let you know when I feel better' he sent to each of them.

'I love you, Chris. Let me know if you need anything. I'll be here if you need me' Sebastian had replied.

'Okay, homie, hit me up if you need me' Anthony replied.

And it was a few months later that he felt comfortable enough to talk with his friends again. He invited them over and explained how he'd been feeling, they'd spent the week together after that.

His boys were always there for him. Always.