Filler chapter 49

"I gotta go," Steve said as he read a message about Peggy dying.

Tony got a similar message except from her actual family. She'd raised him as her own and he was a brother and cousin to her family. Not that anyone of the group knew that.

Tony passed his phone to Rhodey who read the text before looking up at him with wide eyes. He got up and hugged Tony tightly. "I'm sorry for your loss," Rhodey said softly.

"Me too," Tony added gently, since Rhodey had loved the woman too.

A week later, Tony had helped put together a funeral for her and were waiting inside with her family.

"Uncle T," a child no older than five yelled before running over to him. Tony bent and picked him up, bouncing him on his hip as Steve, Sam and Bucky came over.

"What are you doing here?" Sam asked sarcastically.

"Really, you're doing this here?" Tony said softly. "Look where we are," he added. "Hi, Mickey. I've missed you," he said looking at the child in his arms.

"I miss you too. Mamma says come home with Uncle JJ soon," Mickey said as Rhodey came over. Tony passed him over to the man as Melanie came over, his mother.

"Hi, auntie Mel. I wish it would've been better circumstances the next time I'd seen you," Tony said hugging him.

"We're sorry for your loss," Rhodey said hugging her too.

"I'm sorry for your loss, she was my sister, she was your mother and raised you, JJ, since you were nineteen. She was your mother, I, sorry for your loss," Melanie spoke causing the other avengers to freeze.

"Thanks. I've not seen the others in a while. I got to see her before she passed, she was my mother in all but blood. I love you all so much, I'm just extremely busy with work. Is Thomas still having his party next week?" Tony asked Melanie.

"Yeah, it's his seventh birthday so he wants it all for his birthday, trying to prove he's a big boy. He made me promise to invite you," Melanie said as the child came over. Tony bent and picked him up.

"I guess I can come see you for your birthday, Tommy. Can uncle JJ come too?" Tony asked, turning so Thomas can see Rhodey.

"Of course. Thank you for agreeing to come. I've missed you both," Tommy said softly.

Tony would have replied but the music began for the service to start. Steve, Sam and Bucky were sat near the back of the group, whilst Rhodey and Tony were front row as children of the deceased.

"... and now, a few words from her sons," the priest said softly.

Tony and Rhodey got up and walked over to the microphone. "Ahh, hello to the family I've yet to greet. I wish it was in better circumstances, of course. But I've promised a little boy I know is turning into a big boy next week that I'll be coming home for his birthday. So, I'm sure I'll see you all then," Tony began.

"As will I. I'm not missing out on anything anymore. So expect me there as well. If that's still okay with you all," Rhodey added before laughing softly. "Of course it's okay with you all, you've adopted me into the family a very long time ago," he added.

"Peggy Carter raised me as her own. Everyone here knows my mother died of cancer when I was five and my father blamed me. He liked to hit and hurt me because he claimed it was my fault she died. It took a long time to understand it wasn't my fault. Mom and Uncle Jarvis raised me from then on, patching up my cuts and bruises, feeding me and so much more. I lost my Uncle Jarvis a few years back and wasn't expecting to lost my mom this early. Old age and cancer got to her and her heart stopped. She was a fighter until the day she died. She was my mom," Tony said softly before looking at Rhodey to let him speak.

"I met Tony in college, that stupid fourteen year old kid got into MIT and we shared a dorm. I was thinking he'd be spoiled and a brat with his money because he came from a rich background. He wasn't. He was shy and barely spoke. I later learned that he didn't speak because he was beaten into silence by Howard Stark. I got him to trust me and out friendship flourished from there on. I came back with him during fall break and was adopted into your family then and Tony, into mine during winter break. But, we aren't here to reminisce that deep. We're here to celebrate our mothers life and rejoice in her death. We are here to be together as a family and friends. So, here's some words for you to remember," Rhodey said before resting his head on Tony's shoulder, the younger wrapping an arm around his shoulder softly.

"My career path was set in stone. I used to go to training with mom. I grew up happy because of the lady who raised me. My childhood was ruined until mom took me under her wing. You all accepted me into the family, I'm never grateful for anything more than that. Momma always told me to be myself. In this profession that's kind of hard, especially when most of the team I'm on, don't actually value anything about me. But the wise words of my momma are always in my mind. I'm not changing myself to fit what other people want me to be. She wouldn't want me to do that," Tony said softly.

"Take the darkness of momma passing, remember those memories you have with her. I've yet to meet a woman like her anywhere. She was one of my best friends. Please, don't change yourself for anyone. She wouldn't want that," Rhodey added.

"And so, to finish off," Tony said softly before squeezing Rhodey's shoulder softly.

"Rest in peace, momma," they both said in unison before walking back to their seats, Tony keeping his arm around his best friend.

The funeral ended a few minutes later before some more people came over to Tony and Rhodey as the avengers did too. "I know, uncle Michael. I really miss her too, my entire life she always seemed invincible, like nothing would ever hurt her. I knew, of course, that it was coming, I just didn't want to believe it would happen," Tony said softly.

They spent the next fifteen minutes together before Tony and Rhodey left. They didn't want to go to the party afterwards, the others all understood why.

"So, which one of you stole my car?" Tony asked, seeing the car he and Rhodey arrived in and another one of his cars next to it.

He turned to the avengers who at least looked a little ashamed. "I did, sorry Tony," Sam said softly, holding up the keys.

"It's fine, Sam. Please just ask next time, I have cars I don't want taking out because they need upgrades. Luckily you chose a car that I upgraded last month," Tony said softly.

"T, we need to go back now," Rhodey said softly.

"I know, I know," Tony said softly.

"I didn't know you were raised by her," Steve said softly. Tony looked at Steve with a smile.

"Since I was five years old. She's my momma, she's J's momma too, has been since he was nineteen. By the time she met you, I was in MIT and she tried to keep me away from the war. I was only fourteen, I didn't have to fight. I got to stay home, but I worried about her out there every day. When she told me you jumped onto that bomb to protect everyone else, not knowing it was fake, she had a look of pride in her eyes. Howard was obsessed with you after you became Captain America, momma, however, stopped liking you so much. She never liked people changing themselves for others," Tony said softly. "I'm sorry for your loss,"m he said before getting into his card with Rhodey and driving off towards a chippy they always used to go to with Peggy.