Discrimination

Tom was watching Roberts interview with Jimmy Fallon and frowned when he saw that Robert didn't like him being Spider-Man because he's British. He immediately turned his phone off. Tom always thought of Robert like a father so to hear the words, or to watch his reaction to the words, really hurt.

He went to work the next day, they were shooting Endgame and Homecoming at the same time, but didn't say a word to anyone. Unless it was scripted words whilst the cameras were on, not a word passed through his lips. Robert tried to talk to him, wondering what was wrong with the kid but he didn't reply.

It was a week afterwards that anyone could get through to him. With having a deaf character, Jeremy decided to learn sign language and he'd learned both British and American sign fluently. He knew Tom knew them both as well. He got to work to see Tom sat on the grass banking they usually ate their lunch on together. He walked over to the man with Benedict following. Jeremy sat in front of Tom before tapping his knee to get his attention.

'What's wrong? You've been silent for a while now and it's worrying us all' Jeremy signed to the boy in British Sign Language. Tom's eyes filled with tears but he just wiped them away.

'Selective mutism. I don't want to talk, so unless I have to, I won't. I'm not wanted here anyways' Tom replied looking at Jeremy who frowned.

"What did he say?" Benedict asked. He was learning sign language but not as much as those two knew.

"I asked what was wrong since he's been quiet and worrying us all. He said... can I tell him?" Jeremy asked softly causing Tom to nod in response. "Said he's going through some selective mutism and doesn't want to talk unless he has to and then said he's not wanted here anyways," he continued causing Benedict to frown before going and hugging his pseudo brother.

"That's not true, we all love you. Please don't forget that. What made you feel like that I'm the first place?" Benedict asked softly.

'Roberts last interview saying he hates that I'm Spider-Man since I'm British' was all Tom replied.

"Robert hates him for being Spider-Man since he's British," Jeremy spoke softly. The rest of the cast came over having just arrived.

"What interview?" Benedict asked softly so Tom just signed the word 'Fallon' knowing that names were mostly done with letters and Ben knew that much.

'Well, no matter what, you know Ben and I love you a lot. Do you want me to try to figure out why he said that?' Jeremy signed to his friend. He was quite annoyed that Robert said anything in the first place. He knew they both thought of each other as father and son.

"Hey guys, what's up?" Robert asked but the three ignored him, paying attention to Tom instead.

'I love you both too. You can try, but it's alright. I understand why he said that' Tom signed back causing Jeremy to pull him out of Benedict's arms and hug him tightly.

"No matter what, no one should be saying things like that in the first place. I will fix it, don't worry about that. Are you feeling better now?" Jeremy spoke softly but everyone heard him.

'Yes, thank you. I'm going to get ready for set. Thanks, guys' Tom replied before getting up and leaving.

"What was the middle of that?" Benedict asked Jeremy.

"You really need more time to learn sign so we can teach you American sign too, kid. He said yes and thank you. I know you know that much. Then he said he'd be going to get ready for set and then thanked us again," Jeremy spoke causing Benedict to roll his eyes.

"You try finding time to learn two other languages at once. I don't have the time really, I practice sometimes but I'm mostly quite busy," Benedict spoke rolling his eyes playfully.

"Did you find out why he's not been speaking?" Scarlett asked.

Jeremy narrowed his eyes rows at that, glaring at Robert. "Why not ask the godfather of the films?" He spoke strongly.

"He has selective mutism at the moment. He's only talking when he has to because someone told the entire world he doesn't like Tom being Spider-Man because he's British," Benedict extended before standing with Jeremy and walking towards the trailers. Tom, Chris H and Mark followed. They went to Benedict's trailer where Tom was already changed and waiting for them.

"You said what?" Evans asked his friend looking at Robert in shock. He knew Robert loved Tom like a son so that was surprising.

"He didn't watch the whole interview. It was a joke on Fallon then I went on to say that it's not about their nationality it's about the person and that I love the kid," Robert said softly.

"Well, it's hurt him so you need to fix him," Scarlett said softly. Robert nodded. He went to the trailers and waited in Tom's since he wasn't filming today.

He stayed for an hour until Tom came back from his first scene. Robert grabbed his hand and pulled him down to sit next to him before pulling up the interview. "It was a joke, T. I'd never mean it, I went on to say how I liked you as a person and how we get along," Robert spoke as the interview went on. Tom still didn't speak but he did rest his head on Roberts shoulder and that was improvement. Robert remembered filming a few days before this when Tom had flinched so hard at Robert touching him even slightly where they and to reshoot the scene because of it. Robert gently wrapped an arm around his kid. "I love you, kid. Please don't ever think I don't because I do. Please don't shut yourself down," Robert said softly as he put his phone away.

"I love you too," Tom whispered but didn't say anything else.

The duo sat there for an hour before Tom's next scene, just making small talk where Robert asked questions but didn't push for a larger answer. They both felt the relief of having each other back. Robert wouldn't change knowing Tom, not for anything. He adored the kid, everyone knew it.