Tree Bros- Happier

Requested by @ManyObsession

Angst inspired by the song Happier by Ed Sheeran

Jared thought he would be okay by now. It's been a month, he should be over him.

But when he looked over at the two boys, happily cuddled in each other's arms, Jared realized.

He wasn't over Evan.

He wouldn't ever be over Evan.

"Hey guys, I'm going to go get some more popcorn. Don't have any babies while I'm gone." Evan laughed at Jared's joke, glad that he was finally happy and making jokes again.

The break up had been hard for them, but they realized they just weren't right for each other. It was a mutual thing, and even though Evan felt guilty, he was a lot better off with Connor anyway.

"Hey, get me some too." Jared turned, and bowed to Connor.

"Anything for you, my lord." Jared said sarcastically, snickering at his own joke. He turned back towards the kitchen. He waited until he heard the boys talking again, and that's when he left Evans house.

He walked home, and no one cared.

Just like usual.

Jared sat alone in his room. Pictures of broke memories scattered around him, along with a few empty beer cans. He was nursing a empty bottle, and telling himself that Evan was happier with him. Happier with Connor.

Jared looked at the pictures scattered around his room, and he noticed something. Evans smile, when he was with Connor, was twice as wide as it was when he was with Jared.

Looking at the photos, that's when he finally realized he'd never be able to hold Evan like that photo, or kiss him like that one, or tell him he loves him like those two.

Jared took a deep breath, trying not to cry.

"They're happier."

"They're happier. Feel happy for them. You didn't love Evan as good as you should have. It's your own fault." Jared mumbled to himself, tears burning in his eyes as the truth hit him.

"But, why, why should you care?" It's not like you lo-" Jared cut himself off with an ugly sob, pain racking his body as he tried to push down his feelings again.

But his emotions had been pushed down for far too long, and eventually Jared gave up trying to stop the tears.

Who would see them anyway?

Jared, still in his love struck state, made up his mind.

If Evan ever came running back to him, with a broken heart, asking for forgiveness...

Jared would never say no.

For now, he'd just smile and hide the truth.

Looking down at his favorite picture, he saw how big his smile was. How happy Jared was.

He knew he was happier with him.