Tree Bros- The Zombie Song

Zombie apocalypse AU bc sPoOpY month

It's Angst whoops

"Evan, Connor, you guys have got first shift. Think you can actually keep watch and not just watch each other?"

Evans face flushed at Jared's comment. "Y-yeah! W-we can Jared. It's, it's fine."

Jared rolled his eyes, patting Evan lightly on the head. "Wake up Alana and Zoe in a few hours."

"Got it. Now sleep, Jared." Connor lightly pushed Jared to the bunker, and Jared reluctantly went down for some well needed rest.

Evan sat next to Connor, their backs against the door. Evan raised his knife slightly, ready for an attack. Connor glanced around at the ruble that was their home.

"I'm... in worried about you." Evan broke the silence a while later. "I know you aren't, but... I just... worry, you know?"

"Evan I worry about all of us. It's the damn zombie apocalypse."

"W-well, yeah, but I mean you. Especially since..."

"Yeah, I get it." Connor snapped. He instantly regret it once he saw Evan flinch back.

Connor moved away slightly, pulling at the sleeves of his hoodie. "I'm... I'm sorry. I can't, it's just."

Evan glanced expectedly at Connor for a brief second before training his eyes back towards any sign of danger. "Is it... is it getting worse?"

"Not... it's not as bad. Just more anger outbursts. I should... I need to learn how to control it."

"It's not your fault, Connor. You didn't, you didn't ask for this. Don't, don't blame yourself. If, if it's anyone's fault, it should be mine."

"Evan, stop it." Connor broke his guarding stare to look Evan in the eyes. "I love you, and I would take a million more zombie bites for you. It's better me than you."

Connor leaned in, meeting Evans lips halfway. Evan let out a soft hum, trying to ignore how cold Connor felt against his lips.

"Evan, get back!" Alana pulled Evans collar, surprising both boys.

"You're... you're a zombie? You didn't tell us?" Zoe raised her gun, aiming for her brothers head. "Connor, I'm... I'm sorry, but you know the drill."

"No! Please!" Evan jumped in front of Connor. "You can't, he's, he's Connor! He's not, he wouldn't-"

"Not yet. Not ever. Evan, we need to do this." Alana held Evan tight as Zoe spoke.

"But, but he's your brother, he's my boyfriend, we can't do this to him!"

"W-we have to." Zoe's voice shook as she spoke, unveiling her fears. She cleared her throat and tried again. "We can't just let him run around!"

"No Evan. Zoe's right." Evan flipped his body to face Connor.

"No, no, you can't, please, I-I can't-"

"Let Connor go." Jared stood at the door frame, studying the pairs.

Evan let out a sigh of relief, but Zoe held the gun in her hands tighter.

"B-but Jared, he's, he's a zombie, we can't-"

"Zoe, let me finish." Jared walked closer to the two boys. "Evan, you and Connor need to get out of town."

"W-what?"

"Get out of town. Pack a few things, then leave. If you don't want us to kill Connor, then you both can try to live on your own." Jared turned towards Evan. "But, remember, you can always stay with us, and we can..."

Jared motioned to Connor. "We can deal with... this." Jared cringed at his words, but it was too late.

"Evan. What do you pick? Your friends, or your dead boyfriend?" Jared crossed his arms.

"Do you think he'll be okay?" Alana asked, fearing the worst for her friends.

"No." Jared turned back inside, away from the girls. He was supposed to be the leader. Sure, he'd goof off, but he was a damn good leader in a zombie apocalypse. He always made the best decisions for the team.

So why did he feel so wrong?