Trees- The Prep and the Pastel

Requested by @BeTheEvanToMyConnor

"Alright students!" The counselor said in an overly preppy voice, matching her unicorn aesthetic well. "I'm going to pair you up, based on your cliques! I want students to met other students, and realize that your cliques don't define you!"

Connor rolled his eyes, knowing where this was going. He didn't need to look up from his sketch book to know who he'd be paired up with.

"-Connor Murphy and Evan Hansen..."

Connor inwardly groaned. Yep. Of course. The prep and the pastel. Who could have guessed.

"You all have to a project about the other person you've been paired up with! Have fun, and be creative!"

As the groups started to pair up, Connor watched Evan carefully make his way over to Connor. He nervously pointed to the chair next to Connor. "Can, can I uh, sit there?"

"I mean, you kinda have to." Evan took this as a yes, and sat down. Connor didn't look up from his sketch book as Evan fumbled with the bottom of his jersey.

"S-so, uh, what do you, what do you want to, to-"

"Hey, dude." Connor cut him off. "I'll do the whole project if you leave me alone."

Evan furrowed his eyebrows in confusion at Connor. "W-what?"

"You're a football player, right? You'll be easy to write about." Connor took a pause. "And besides, you don't want to learn about me."

"Hey!" Evan mustered out, a small bit of confidence in his voice. "I'm not, I'm not just some stereotype football player! I have, I have other things that make me, me. And, and I do want to learn about you." Taking a deep breath, Evan sat up straighter. "So, so, ask me questions."

Connor, determined to prove that Evan was the stereotypical football player he claimed he wasn't, Connor asked him his 'questions'.

"You're popular, right?"

"I-I mean, a little? But I'm not-"

"You get mostly B's, right?"

"Actually, more like A's, but-"

"And, you probably have at least twenty girls you've dumped just for some dumb 'trophy', right?"

"No!" Evan stopped Connor. "I would never. And, and besides. I like, I like girls and guys."

Connor paused at that, trying to act unfazed. "Well, uh, I bet your dad got you into football, right? You're a daddies boy?"

"No. My dad hasn't seen me in years. I like with my mom, and I barely see her at that. I don't think she even knows I'm into football." Connor looked like he didn't know what else to do. This wasn't going as planned.

"Oh, and another thing. I have really bad social anxiety. Like, really bad."
Evan put his head in his hands. "Now that I've 'defeated the stereotype', tell me, tell me about yourself."

Connor smirked at Evan. I like this guy.

His face drained of color.

Oh shit, I like this guy.

"And, and then Chloe was like 'wow Evan, you're so cute!'"

"Wait, she said that to your face?" Connor asked, anger flooding his body.

"Well, yeah! And I was like, uh, bitch I have anxiety." Connor chuckled, still feeling the urge to fight Chloe. "Hey, it's, okay Con. I know she just wants to get in my pants cuz, cuz I'm the 'star football player' or whatever."

Connor looked away, his face turning the same color as his pastel sweater. "Whatever." Connor tried to rush off down the hallway, away from Evan.

"Hey." Evan stopped Connor, placing a hand on his shoulder. Connor stopped, but didn't look at Evan.

"What?" Connor eventually looked up at Evan. "What do you want?"

"I..." Evan paused, trying not to panic. "I, I really, uh."

Connor was about to turn around and head back to class, but Evan held him firm. "I really like you, Connor Murphy."

Connors eyes twinkled with love at the smaller boy. He couldn't believe it.

"And, and I know you're too good for me? So uh, I'm just gonna uh," he turned to go. "Bye Connor."

"Wait!" Evan turned, and was met with Connors lips on his. They smiled into the kiss, happy for each other's feelings.

"See? I told you it would work."
Ms. Sawyer smiled wide as Mrs.Dunnstock handed her best friend twenty dollars. "Some people are just meant to be.