Tree Bros- Ghost AU

Warnings: curse words, Connor is dead, and parent abuse. Starts off as fluff, and accidentally turns to angst? I'm sorry

I, Evan Hansen,  have the ability to see ghosts.

No, I'm not on drugs.

Yes, it's a genetics thing.

I've  had this ability for as long I can remember. Ghosts are just drawn to me, but it doesn't really bother me. All I  have to do is help them into the after life, and then I can have some free time.

So why was this one different? Why did this ghost not want to go away?

"I'm right here. I can still read!" Connor floated lightly over Evans shoulder as Evan slammed his laptop shut.

"D-d-don't sneak up o-on me like that!"

"Oh, I'm so sorry. Next time I'll stomp my feet on the floor." Connor rolled his eyes, floating towards Evans bed. "And I want to leave just as much as you want me to leave."

"I-I-I don't want you to leave exactly, I just, I just want to help you into the afterlife!" Evan said defensively.

Connor snickered. "Right. So help me, oh wise one."

Evan glared at Connor. "I would, I-if you could just, tell me what your spirit wants!"

"...the fuck does that mean?"

"O-one, please do-don't cuss, t-two, it's like," Evan paused, trying to find the right words. "Spirits normally like, um, stay around? If uh, they have some like, 'unfinished business'? S-so, I need to figure out what yours is."

Connor pretended to thing for a second. "Ah, I know."

Evan peeked up, excited. "Yeah?"

"My weed stash. I need my weed."

Evan sighed, putting his head in his hands. "That's... you can't even smoke drugs when you're a ghost!"

Connor smirked at how frustrated Evan was.

"Oh! Um..." Evan sat up again. "Okay, so, um, maybe, if you tell me how you died, then maybe-"

"Maybe nothing. I'm not telling you how I died, and you know that."

"But that may be, be the only way for you t-to go on!" Evan sighed dramatically.

The two sat in the heavy air, trying to ignore the tension.

Finally, Connor broke. "I'm going to the roof."

"Please don't." Evan mumbled, knowing he couldn't force Connor to do anything.

Connor floated through the ceiling, and away from Evan and his troubles.

"My dad wasn't... good." Connor broke the silence as Evan sat at the dinner table alone, eating.

"W-what do you mean?" Evan tried to not sound too excited.

"He... he was the one who..." He made a cut throat motion with his hand. He darkly chuckled. "And get this, he made it look like a suicide. How messed up is that?"

Evan looked down at his food, not being able to look at Connor for a fear of breaking down.

"I...I didn't know Connor. I'm sorry."

"Nah, it's fine." Connor looked away from Evan. "I just... ugh."

Evan looked back up at Connor, worried.

"I...I think I know what my 'unfinished business' is." Connor made air quotes as he said this.

"I..." He trailed off. "I have a sister. And I just... want to make sure she's okay, you know?"

Evan nodded his head, concern etched onto his face. "I-I, o-of course. I-I'll help you."

Connor stood in front of his old house, staring at it.

"W-well? G-go on." Evans light voice snapped Connor out of his own mind, and he carefully floated forward.

His family sat, smiling at the diner table. They seemed at peace, and almost... happy.

Connor looked at where his normal seat was, and was shocked to find a new little boy sitting there. The little boy seemed over the moon to be sitting with them, and Connor let out a weak sob.

He'd been forgotten, but at least his sister was safe.

At least they were happy.