Tree bros- The Zombie Song pt2

Angst angst ANGST

Evan trudged on, a long silence between him and Connor. His agony was in the silence, and he wanted it to end.

Last time he'd tried to talk, Connor had snapped at him, and he didn't want that again.

As much as he didn't want Connor to snap again, he didn't want to be in complete silence. Just as he finally worked up the courage to speak, Connor cut him off.

"I'm sorry."

"For what?" Evan asked, daring to give Connor a glance. He tried to seem disinterested, but his grip on his gun could tell you otherwise.

"I'm sorry I'm like this. I... I want to protect you, to be here for you. But... but how can I do that, when I'm a monster?"

"S-stop it. Stop calling yourself that."

"You know it's true. It's getting harder to... to control it." Connor subconsciously rubbed his arm, hiding the Mark of Bite and his sickly pale skin.

"You aren't, you aren't a monster. Monsters are bad, you aren't bad."

"Really Evan?" Connor snapped, causing Evan to hunch himself over.

"See? You're scared of me." Connor pulled up the hood of his jacket. "We need to turn around."

"Turn around? No, no, I'm not, I'm not going."

"Well, it's too bad, Evan. You need to back to the others." Connor started to turn around towards where they had just come.

Evan grabbed Connors hoodie, pulling him towards his body. Connor stumbled a bit, but Evan caught him. Evan pulled him down for a kiss, as a last resource.

Connor reluctantly melted, feeling himself turn to putty in Evans hands.

Evan loved Connor, more than he probably should. But he would never get used to the cold feeling Connor gave him when they kissed.

He wanted to feel alive.

The kissing made him feel... dead. And each one was worse than the other.

But Evan would never say anything. He didn't want Connor to know how dead he felt. It would only make Connor drag him back to the group.

And Evan didn't want that. No matter how much pain he was in.

Connor was the first one to pull apart. Smiling, his eyes reached Evans. And everything was okay.

Until Evan collapsed in his arms.

"Jared? Something's coming." Zoe raised her gun, ready for an attack.

"Hold fire. I recognize that ugly jacket." Jared walked closer to the figures coming their way.

"Connor? You shouldn't be here." Jared yelled out to the figures, hoping he was right.

"I'm sorry, I'll leave." Connors face became visible, and as it did, so did the body in his hands. "Just, please. Take him. You can kill me, I'm fine with that. But I need him to be okay."

"What did you do to him?" Jared raised his gun, aiming for Connors head.

Connor gently placed Evan at Jared's feet, before stepping back with his arms raised. "I didn't do anything. I would never do anything to him, Jared"

Both boys glared at each other, before a small moment from Evans body drew their attention.

"Alana!" Alana stuck her head out of the bunker. "Yeah? How can I help?"

"Take care of Evan." Jared's eyes never left Connors. "And I'll take care of the zombie." Alana scurried to pick up Evan, and gently carried him down with the help of her girlfriend.

Connor lowered his eyes, sad that this was what it had come to.

"I'm sorry Connor." Connor tried to hear any sign of a lie in his voice, be he could hear none. "I know how much Evan loved you. But now it's time for you to go."

Evan woke to the sound of a gun firing, the sound ringing in his ears.

He looked around, surprised to see he was in the bunker.

"Evan?" Evan raised his head, only for it to be pushed back down. "Don't move too much, you might have a concussion.

"Alana? What happened? What, what was that noise? Wha-where's Connor?"

Alana ignored the questions with a look of weakness on her face.

"You need to lay down and tell me how you feel so I know how to treat you."

"He's not coming back, is he?"

Alana paused slightly before shaking her head lightly. "I'm sorry." She wiped the a tear away, pouring herself back into her work.

"Now, a few standard questions. How are you feeling? Scale of 1 to 10."

"Uh, um a 7? I think I fell somewhere, my head, it's just."

"That checks out." Alana scribbled something down on a note pad next to her. She paused before moving to a handbook, flipping through the pages.

She eventually stopped, hit fingers hovering over the words. "Evan? Have you..."

Evan waited for her to continue, before finally answering. "Have I w-what?"

"Have you... recently kissed someone who was infected?"