Tree Bros- 2BRØ2B

Warning:Low key suicide, cursing and angst. Please don't read if you aren't comfortable with those topics.

Based off the amazing story by the same title. If you haven't read it, it's okay. I'll explain everything.

Evan Hansen wouldn't ever say this out loud, but he hated the population rules. They made him feel guilty, and like he was wasting space. Only 40 million people could be alive at a time, so what had he done to deserve the right to live? Nothing. He could so easily call the hotline and sacrifice his life for another baby, someone who will be better than him. And, if he were to call the hotline, he knew they would praise him. 'You've done a good thing, sir.' The lady on the phone would say. 'Your country thanks you.' It was an easy number too. 226722. 2BØR2B.

Evan fiddled with his hands as he thought about everything, while he waited for his mom to get off work. He didn't like her job as a nurse for the Federal Bureau of Termination, but it paid well so he never complained. It just sucked that he had to wait here for so long.

He looked around the waiting room. This would be the room where people came to before they-

His thoughts were cut off by the door slamming open. Two men walked in. Well, one man, and a teen boy. Evan recognized them as the cute Connor Murphy from school, and probably his dad.

"Remember, you're doing this for your sister." Mr. Murphy said.

"Didn't give me much of a choice, but sure." His dad walked out of the room without saying anything else, and Connor flipped him off. He sighed before noticing Evan. Evan took a deep breath.

"H-hi? I-I'm Evan, w-we went to school together?

"Go to hell, Hansen."

Evan looked down in fear. "S-s-sorry."

He heard Connor give a deep sigh and move to sit close to him. "I'm sorry Evan, I'm just-" he threw his hands up in the air.

"D-do um, do you want to talk? You don't have to! I just um..."

"What is there to talk about?" Connor let out an emotionless chuckle. "My mom's gonna have the perfect girl they've always wanted, so I 'need to go'." He made a cut motion along his neck.

"Dad dragged me out here. Now I'm gonna go die before I even get to see this stupid baby that's taking my place." A single tear fell down his face, but he quickly wiped it away and straightened up. "But, whatever. I really don't care. My dad can go screw himself." He dryly chuckled. "The baby's probably gonna be weird or something." He looked away from Evan, but Evan could still tell how heart broken Connor was to not see his sister.

"H-h-how um, much do you want to see your sister?" Evan didn't look up when he asked. He just fiddled with his shirt.

"What?" Connor asked, turning towards the boy.

"I-I-I um, I said how much do you want to, to um, see her?"

Connor looked down at his boots. "More than anything. But it's not my choice now, is it Hansen? And why do you care? Aren't you only here for your mom, anyway?"

"Let me take your place." His confidence rang throughout the room, surprising himself. "Please?"

Connor froze. "What?"

"S-so you can see your sister. I'll go a-and-"

"Evan no, I'm not letting you do that. What would your mom say? Your friends?"

"I-I uh I don't really have friends a-and um, well, my mom, she's a nurse here. She'd probably be thrilled." Now it was Evans turn to let out a dry chuckle. "I bet she wouldn't even notice. Her life would be so much easier." He stood up and made his way to Connor.

"I want you to see your sister." For the first time in his life, his words left no sigh of hesitation or regrets. They were powerful; meaningful.

"Why?" Connor's breath hitched as Evan moved closer to him.

Evan kneeled down to meet Connor's height in the chair. "I-I- I've. Um." He took a deep breath. "Oh, spruce it."

He slammed his lips into Connor's, expecting him to reject it, but wanting his last moments to mean something to someone. But to his surprise, Connor melted onto the kiss and placed his hands on Evans shoulders.

Connor was the first one to pull away.

"Well shit, now you really can't die."

"I have to. F-for your sister." Evan gave Connor one last peck on the lips before walking to the door, and preparing himself to finally do something important with his life. He turned towards Connor.

"Tell um, y-your sister I s-said hi." He awkwardly waved before he opened the door, and walked towards the room to end it all.

Connor couldn't really process what had just happened. It all happened so fast, him about to die without seeing his sister, his crush kissed him, then his crush sacrificed himself for Connor's sister? How-

His thoughts were cut off by a chime in his pocket. He pulled out his phoned and almost sobbed at the message.

From: Dick-Head Dad
Sister didn't make it. Come back home.

He scoffed as he felt another tear fall down his face. Evan had just done that for nothing. Connor would still have to deal with his dad. Connor wouldn't ever get to see Evan again.

Wait. Maybe he could see Evan again.

He looked at his phone before sliding it over to call someone. With confidence, he typed in 226722.

2BØR2B.

The line rang before an over eager woman answered. "Hello! This is the Bureau of Termination! How can we help you today?"

"I'd like to make an appointment. Preferably soon."

"No problem sir!" Connor heard typing on a keyboard before she answered again. "Alright sir! It seems like you could actually go in, in about 30 minutes. Does that work for you?"

"Perfect." Connor gave a fake smile over the phone that he knew she couldn't see.

"Thank you sir. Your city thanks you; your country thanks you; your planet thanks you. But the deepest thanks of all comes from all of the future generation."