~5~ Don't Hit My Pretty Face

Ellie's POV

We've been back in school for a week, and it's been going great. Nolan is improving with his reading so much, that's he's almost caught up. Taylor and I are thrilled.

Mason and Sasha pulled me to the side the other day and asked me to keep an eye on Dylan. So far, I have seen nothing suspicious.

At least, not until today...

I was in my office when I heard him talking, walking down the hall with a friend.

"Dylan, seriously, it needs to be on Kingston."

"Are you high? No way in hell. Shorty, dude."

The friend shakes his head in disgust, and they continue walking.

Kingston and Shorty? That's weird.

I go to Mason's room and wait for him to see me. He sees me, and comes out to the hall, shutting the door.

"What's up, Nurse?" He smirks.

"Maybe nothing," I sigh as I tell him what happened.

He scrunches his face to think.

"Are they students here?" I ask him.

He shakes his head. "No. I've never heard of anyone being called shorty before. No ones name is Kingston, either. At least, none of my students. I would have to check with Lance.

"A sport's player?"

He looks at me hard. "Shorty?"

"I don't know. I'm just trying to think."

"I don't think so. Think it's related?" He asks, still thinking.

"My guess? Yeah. I'll keep my ears opened."

"K. Thanks Ellie," he says, rolling his eyes and going back to his class.

The rest of my day goes by uneventfully. About 20 minutes before I leave for the day, Lance stops me.

"I need to speak with you."

"What did I do now?" I ask with a sigh.

He smirks and shakes his head. "Just get your ass in my office."

"Yes sir" I salute seriously as I follow behind him.

When we get in, he shuts the door.

"What's your middle name?" I ask seriously.

"What?" He chuckles.

"Your middle name. What is it?"

"Um, I don't want to tell you."

"Why not?"

"Because it's embarrassing, and I'm 100 percent positive you will make fun of me for it."

"Tell me, boss."

He sighs and smiles. "Frederick."

"Ok, Lance Frederick Mills, every time you shut the door, it's always something that changes my life somehow. What is it this time?" I ask, narrowing my eyes.

He sighs and bites the pen he's holding. "Ok, before I talk, I want you to look hard at my face."

"I'm looking," I say seriously.

"See how pretty it is?"

I chuckle. "I see"

He nods, still with a straight face. "If you go 'Ellie Freeman' and punch me, my face won't be so pretty."