~22~ Punishment For Lying

Ellie's POV

"Let's go see dad for a bit, bud," I say as I go back in Jake's house.

"Why?"

"Because I said."

He gives me a look, but surprisingly doesn't press. He just silently stands up and follows me out. Jake squeezes my shoulder on the way out, and I feel like I could puke. I really don't want to know this story.

We drive silently most of the way there.

"Why are you sad?" He asks me.

It blows my mind that he can tell that I'm sad, and not mad. It truly blows my mind.

I look at him and give him a smirk. "I sure love you, kid."

"I love you too. Why are you sad?"

I just shrug as I look back at the road. "Being a parent can just be hard."

I can see him looking at me, but he doesn't say anything else.

When we get in, the firehouse is tense.

"She still here?" I ask Liam.

"Oh yeah. Taylor is going to be cranky when he comes out."

I sigh as I sit next to Wes and put my head on his shoulder. He kisses my head and rubs my back gently. "He the reason you're so upset?" he whispers.

I just nod.

About twenty minutes later, Taylor and the pretty Commissioner come out.

"This place is trashed, Chief. How hard is it to clean once in a while?"

"Ma'am, my men work hard saving lives. They also work hard keeping this place clean."

"Looks like you're all working hard to me," she sneers.

Taylor nods and tries to calm himself down.

"They sure worked hard this morning when they saved five people. Then they came back and did drills for three hours. How's the new desk treating you? Heard the chair you had brought in is super comfy," he smiles sweetly.

She glares at him.

"If he isn't fired for this, your ass is on the line."

"Then my ass is on the line. I've told you thirty times that he will not be fired for this. He was written up. That's as much punishment as I'm serving."

"You will be hearing from me, Chief."

"Always a pleasure, Commissioner."

As she starts to leave, she spots me. "Didn't realize that this was a community hangout spot, Chief Preston. Doesn't your wife have things to do at home?"

"Leave my family out of this. I'm the one you're angry with. Bring her into this one more time, and you won't see the cordial side you're seeing now."

She gives him another hard look and leaves quickly.

Once she is gone, Taylor takes a deep breath and turns on Jenkins. "Because of your damn temper, my day has been shit. The rest of this shift, yours will be, too. You're doing the candidates work the rest of shift, along with bathroom detail. You're not sitting at all again tonight. Got me?"

"Yes Chief," Jenkins says sadly.

"Clark, you better make sure your men do better next time," he snaps.

"They will Chief," he says angrily.

Taylor nods as he finally looks at us.

"Let's go chat, you two," he says simply.