~26~ Mr. Preston

Taylor's POV

"Dude, what do I do? This girl is completely out of control. It's like, the moment she knew that I spank Colton, she became bound and determined to test me and prove to me that I'm not touching her."

I look at Alex like he's crazy. "Um, you spank her?"

"Thanks Sherlock," he snaps.

"I know that....But I honestly didn't handle that right. The very first day she gets adopted and I flex my dad muscles at her? I seriously should have eased her into it."

"I'd say she's eased, Alex. Start spanking her. You know as well as I do that it's going to get worse before it gets better. Might as well start now. She's been legally yours for a week. She knows the rules and the expectations. It's time to start showing her that she doesn't run your house. What is with you and being afraid of girls?" I ask, trying to get him riled up.

"That's a shitty thing to say. I'm not afraid of girls."

I smirk. "I know...I'm sorry. It's not your fault you are a magnet for the strong-willed woman. Even Savannah," I chuckle.

He takes a sip of beer and nods. "Well, after she gets home from school, if she still has an attitude, she will meet my knee for the first time."

"Nervous?" I smirk as I squeeze his shoulder.

"Yeah. She's going to fight me. She will not take this easily."

I shrug. "She's only 12. I think you can take her."

"You're full of jokes today, Preston."

I laugh as I take a bite of cake. "Well, Sasha was the only somewhat strong-willed daughter I had. She wasn't even all that strong-willed. Just sneaky. I'm glad I don't have to deal with it."

"You're just married to it," he chuckles as he takes a bite of his sandwich.

"I'm telling you...," Alex starts. "I know Billy gets a bad rap, and he deserves it...But he really did his best. Justin constantly snuck out and went to parties, Jake was constantly getting into fights, and Ellie...I love that girl more than my own life, but she loved seeing how mad she could make her dad. She put him through the wringer."

I laugh. "I can imagine."

"You can't. She was like Savannah, times three. I thought it was hysterical, but I was the same age as she was. Looking back, I pity Billy a little bit. Just a little, though."

"I don't pity him at all."

Alex just nods and takes another bite of his sandwich.

Trace walks in, and I'm surprised. I don't usually see him on Wednesdays until the evening. He has classes all day.

"Everything ok?" I ask, nervous. He knows Emma and Luke are in school.

He nods, but he doesn't look right. He looks nervous or something.

Alex can tell too. "Can I take my beer to go?" He asks.

"Go for it," I smirk as I motion for him to take his sandwich too. He grins, picks up the sandwich and beer, and walks out the door.

"What's up, kid?"

Trace looks like he could throw up. He comes over and sits down, and picks at a spot on the table for a minute.

I just stare at him, trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with him. Wes didn't say anything about the two of them getting in a fight.

Trace takes a huge breath and lets it out loudly.

"Mr. Preston....."

Mr. Preston? He has never called me that. Papa Preston sometimes when he's trying to be cute, but NEVER Mr.

"I'm so completely in love with your daughter. When I finally opened my eyes and saw her, that was it. I knew she and I were going to get married one day. She is the most purest, sweetest, most genuine person I have ever met in my life. She's also the most beautiful. Both inside and out. I promise that I will spend my whole life building her up, encouraging her, and loving her. I'm asking for your blessing to marry her. To ask her to marry me."

I'm silent for a moment, because I'm trying not to cry. I've been told that I'm a touch emotional, and I've been trying to hold onto my man-card more these days.

Staring at my son...Soon to be real son, and I can't help myself. The tears start falling.

"Trace Nathaniel...The day you saved my daughter...You sacrificed yourself for my daughter, I knew you were the man I wanted for her. You, my son, have my blessing. You have my blessing 1,000 times over. You've been a son to me since the day you were born. Now you legally will be," I say as I start getting even more choked up.

Trace stands up and comes over to me. I stand up and hug him tight. We both cry like little girls.

"I'm so in love with her. Thank you," he cries.

I kiss his head and hug him tighter. "When you doing it?" I ask.

He pulls away and wipes a tear.

"Well, I have to buy a ring. I was hoping Shay and Sasha would go with me. I know Emma won't want anything in front of anyone. That would embarrass her. I'll probably just take her somewhere secluded in the next few weeks. I'll let you know before I do."

I nod and smile. I love that he knows my daughter. He's right. She wouldn't want her engagement to be a big deal. She would just want it to be with Trace.

"You think you will have a long engagement?"

"I hope not. I want to marry that girl so bad."

"Do you have the money to live on your own?"

He nods and sniffs again. "We already talked about it a little. We will only be able to afford a run-down, one bedroom apartment for now, but we're good with it."

"So happy for you guys."

"Just gotta get her to say yes," he says after a second.

"She will."

"Trace?" I say after another moment of silence.

"Yeah?"

"Don't ever call me Mr. Preston again," I smile.

He laughs and nods his head. "It felt really weird."

"Yeah it did," I laugh.

"Love you, Papa Preston."

"Love you too, my son."