~151~ Trees

Ellie's POV

I stay awake until everyone is starting to wake up.

"How did you sleep, momma?" Liam asks me as he kisses my cheek.

I just smile at him.

"You didn't sleep at all, did you?"

"I'm fine, darling," I say as I go into the kitchen. Thankfully my stove is gas, so Taylor lights it for me. I'm able to cook bacon and eggs this morning, even without power.

As I'm cooking everything that I have, the ice is getting more intense and the tree branches are starting to fall.

"Still think we're ok?" Taylor asks Wes.

"I really don't know. This neighborhood is basically all trees. There's no house that'll be better than another, and it's too dangerous to even walk outside, let alone drive somewhere else."

"So we're sitting ducks?"

Wes only looks at Taylor.

Megan comes in and starts helping me, and turns on her phone to the news. We've already gotten 1/2 an inch of ice, and it's nowhere near stopping.

"We didn't bring over enough food," she whispers.

I only nod. I'm well aware that we don't have enough—We honestly just thought it would last through the night.

I look at Taylor, and he can read my face.

"Shit...mom, I have to go home. Can I borrow that big bag you have?" Liam asks me in a panic.

"You cannot go outside!" Taylor booms.

Liam shakes his head. "I have to. We forgot Charlie's medication. She HAS to have it."

Taylor closes his eyes. "She can't miss a day?" He asks, already knowing the answer.

"You know as well as I do that she can't," he snaps.

Taylor nods. "I'll go. You stay here."

"No. I'm going. Where's the bag, mom? I'll grab some extra food while I'm there."

I ignore the panic bubbling up as I go to find the bag he wants. Then I find another one. I know without a doubt that Taylor will go with him, and he might as well put food in another bag too.

When they get ready to leave, I look long and hard at my son. "I know you're only going right next door, but you be careful. Got me?"

"Yes ma'am," he grins as he kisses my cheek.

I look at Taylor, and he kisses me softly. "We're gonna be fine."

They go out the door, and Wes has to help me shut it. The wind is so viscious that it almost takes the door off the hinges.

"Damn," he grunts as the door latches. "This doesn't seem real. That snow is deep already. How much did they say we have so far?"

"9 inches"

"We have a long way to go...." Wes says to himself.

I look out the window, and watch as best as I can. I honestly can't even see Liam's house from here.

"Did he leave already?" Mason asks as he gets his shoes on as he's walking, and pulls his coat on.

"Yes, and stay here. You're not going out there too."

Mason shakes his head angrily. "I told him to wait on me and I'd go with him," he spits as he throws his shoe angrily.

"He was just trying to keep you safe," I say.