~135~ Don't Laugh

Just wanted to give you another heads up! This will be my last update on Sundays. I've written, almost literally, every single day for over a year. I'm needing a little break from time to time I think...So, I'm designating Sundays as my "day off." I couldn't leave you hanging, so I wrote a shorter chapter today, and I'll be back again tomorrow with a longer one!

Ellie's POV

"What in the actual crap is this place?" I ask as I look at the wall made completely of a fish tank.

"It's a seafood restaurant," Justin says, like I'm an idiot.

I look around in horror at the thousands of fishies swimming, as the hostess takes us to our table.....Right against the dang glass.

"Ok, but how's come the fishies are being paraded around like a piece of meat?"

Justin looks at Jake. "Is she being serious?"

Jake nods as he takes a sip of the water they brought us to start with.

"Don't laugh, she's being dead serious. Answer her question without insinuating that she's crazy, or this will be a long night."

Justin clears his throat. "Eleanor, these fishies are just here to look pretty. We won't be eating them."

"Is that considered cannibalism?"

Justin looks back at Jake, and Jake shakes his head. "I'm telling you, don't laugh," he whispers loudly, trying to block his mouth with his hand.

"How the hell would it be considered cannibalism?" Justin asks with a small attitude, laced with shock.

"Those fish watching other fish be eaten."

"They're not the ones eating them, Ellie, we are."

I nod my head. "Maybe we should serve you up on a platter and let the fish munch on you. Would it be weird if we stood around, watching?"

"I don't even know what to say to that," Justin says to Jake.

Jake rolls his eyes and clears his throat. "I'll handle it—it's obvious you lost your touch.....Yes Ellie, that would be very weird, although amusing....Ignore the damn fish and turn to the chicken side of the menu, right now."

"How can I ignore them? They're staring right at me."

"Would you like to switch me spots?" He asks me, hiding a smirk with his hand.

"Yes."

Jake nods and stands up, going around to where I'm at and taking my spot.

"Better?" He asks once I'm sitting.

"I guess," I pout as I open my menu.

I pick chicken tenders and fries, and when I order, Justin scoffs. "This is the best damn fish restaurant around, and you want chicken?"

I look at the waiter and roll my eyes. "Do you ever feel guilty serving up a catfish in front of these poor fish?"

The young waiter looks at me and tries to figure out what to say.

"Just ignore her and bring her some extra bread. It'll make her less cranky," Jake says to the kid.

The waiter leaves, and Justin scoffs...again.

"I don't understand why you won't just try the salmon. It's amazing."

"Try a burger," I snap.

"I don't eat red meat!"

"And I don't eat fish!"

He rolls his eyes and takes a sip of his diet soda.

"Do I need to separate you two?" Jake asks, looking between the two of us like he's watching a volleyball match.