~98~ Clean Up

Gabby's POV

The party went long into the night, and by the time it was over, Ellie sighs.

"The mess will still be here in the morning...Everyone get some sleep."

I'm glad. I know dad would have made me help clean up, and I'm so tired. It was such a fun wedding. Who knew weddings could be fun?

Shay and Luke left, and they'll be back Tuesday morning before she starts chemo. They just wanted at least a day to get away and have a tiny honeymoon...so, that's what they're doing.

As I'm walking back to our house, dad pulls me into his side. "Thanks for all your help today, sweets. I'm gonna have to ask you to help tomorrow morning, too."

I already knew that, so I'm not surprised...I've been in this family for way too long, apparently.

"What time?" I ask as I rest my head on his arm...I'm so tired, I could fall asleep walking.

"Knowing Aunt Ellie? 8 am."

"Ahhhh man!"

He chuckles as he unlocks the door and we walk in. "Get to bed, Gabbs. We're gonna have a long day tomorrow too...Colton, you need to be up by 8."

"Dad, I can't. I have to work."

Alex chuckles darkly. "Don't lie to me....the shop doesn't open until after 12....Plus, I know for a fact they're closed on Sundays."

Colton glares at him. "Ya know, most parents lay off once their kid becomes an adult."

"Really? Well, most adults help others when they need it....with family, they'll drop what they're doing in an instant. When you start acting like an adult, I'll treat you like one. Until then, be up by 7:30."

"Thought you said 8..."

"Changed my mind. It's what us adults get to do," Alex snaps.

Colton grumbles something nasty under his breath as he goes upstairs. Dad hears it, but doesn't say anything as he kisses my head and pats my bottom softly.

"To bed, young lady."

"Yes sir"

The next morning, mom gently shakes me awake. "Wake up, Gabby."

I open my eyes, and they're heavy and gritty. "Mom, it's 6:30!!!!" I say when I look at my clock.

"I know, but Aunt Ellie and Uncle Taylor are out there working in the yard already. Hurry up."

"They seriously called you demanding that you come over?" I ask, ready to fight.

"They haven't said a word to us...they went out on their own to clean up. Get your tail out of bed now and lose your attitude."

I think about flipping her the bird, but then I remember that dad got as much sleep as I did. That would NOT be a smart thing to do.

I get dressed in leggings and a light sweater, and put my hair up in a messy bun. When I come downstairs, dad grins.

"You look beautiful, young lady," he says as he kisses me.

"What?!? I literally just crawled out of bed."

He nods. "The sweater mom bought is a good color on you. It brings out your eyes."

I hide the smile and take the compliment. I love when he says nice things to me like that.

We get outside, and Ellie and Taylor stop throwing stuff in their trash bags and look at us.

"You guys did NOT have to come this early," Ellie says softly.