Ent. Malcolm Reed - "Make me up a future."

Malcolm looked over his shoulder at you for what must have been the hundredth time since the shuttle took off from the planet. While on an away mission, you'd been seriously injured, but with Enterprise so far away—keeping a scheduled meeting with a new species—Malcolm had to try and help you with the little supplies and medical knowledge he had.

"How do you feel?" he asked.

You sucked in a breath, leaning your head back on the small bench in the back of the shuttle. "Oh, just lovely."

He set the shuttle on auto pilot and went to you. He crouched down, inspecting the wound in your side. "I'm so sorry, Y/N. If I hadn't left you to talk to their leader... maybe you wouldn't be this way."

"It's not your fault," you told him sternly.

"I just..." He sighed heavily and took your hand in his. "I wish I could've helped you more. Prevented the attack somehow."

You squeezed his hand gently. "Stop talking about the past, I could be dead in a matter of hours... make me up a future."

Malcolm sucked in a breath, knowing full well that you were right. The wound was severe. The base of your spine had been infected with some sort of alien bacteria which paralyzed the nerves it touched. Now, you couldn't feel your legs. If you didn't get back to Enterprise soon, the bacteria would spread and you could become brain dead.

"If—when you get better, I'm going to treat you like a princess," he promised. "I'll ask the captain to give me some time off to take care of you."

You managed a weak smile. "I like the sound of that."

He rubbed his thumb across your knuckles, sniffing as tears welled in his eyes. "You and I will spend the day snuggled up in bed, kissing every so often. Chef will make you your favourite meal."

You nodded, smiling wider. "What about after I get better? Once I'm all recovered. Tell me what will happen then."

Malcolm swiped his tongue across his dry lips. "After some time, I'll propose. We'll have a wedding on Enterprise with all of our friends there to see it. A few years later, if you want, we could start a family. Raise our children on the ship, and teach them about the different fields of study on board."

You shut your eyes, feeling drowsy. "That sounds amazing, Malcolm. I'd really love that."

He gripped your hand. "Don't fall asleep, please. I can't lose you."

"You won't," you told him softly. "I'm going to live to see that future."

He swallowed thickly, kissing your forehead with trembling lips. "Promise?"

You nodded slowly, opening your eyes to make eye contact with him. "I promise."