DS9. Julian Bashir (platonic) - Worries

A/N: Female, lesbian reader

Julian rang the chime to your quarters and waited for a response. He knew you were in there—the computer told him as much.

"Y/N?" he asked when the door didn't open, nor did he hear you say anything.

He frowned and listened closely and that's when he heard it: crying.

"Y/N, are you all right?" he asked, now growing anxious.

"Go away," you managed to choke out.

"Y/N," he said, softer now. "Let me help. Whatever it is, I can help. Please."

"I don't need help."

"Please," Julian practically begged. "I promise we can figure it out."

"Okay," you said finally after a few moments.

Julian typed in the override code and entered your quarters. He saw you curled up on the couch, tear-stained cheeks nearly as pink as your eyes.

"Oh, Y/N," he said, going over to you instantly. "Whatever is the matter?"

You sniffed and shrugged. "It's stupid."

"Clearly it isn't, if it's causing you so much pain," he said gently. "You can tell me anything, you know. I'm your best friend."

He put a hand onto your shin, and you took in a deep breath as you pushed yourself up to a seated position.

"I..." you trailed off and averted your gaze. "I'm gay, Julian."

Julian gently held your hand. "You know I'll support you and love you no matter what. Thank you for trusting me so much to tell me that and share that part of you with me. I know it mustn't have been easy."

You managed a small smile. "Thank you."

Then, he said, "So why are you crying? Were you afraid I wouldn't accept you? Or that others on the station won't?"

You looked up at him. "No, not exactly," you said, sniffling as your tears started to cease.

"You can tell me anything," he murmured. "I want to help you."

You sighed. "I just... I think I'm falling in love with someone but I don't know if she feels the same way and I don't want to risk ruining our friendship or have her reject me because I don't know how I'd handle that."

"You'd handle that with me by your side," Julian said.

You gave his hand a small squeeze. "I doubt she even likes me that way."

"Don't say that," he chastised. "You're incredible, Y/N. You're smart, funny, generous, and beautiful. Whoever she is, she'd be lucky to date someone like you." He used the pad of his thumb to wipe away your remaining tears.

You sighed. "Thanks, Julian. I'm sorry. I was overthinking this all and just got a bit overwhelmed."

"You don't need to apologize," he said. "Sometimes it's okay to get overwhelmed as long as you don't let it control you."

You nodded slightly. "So, what do I do?"

"Well, I can't help properly unless I know who this mystery woman is," Julian mused. "You don't have to tell me, of course, but know that I will never judge you in anyway and you can tell me anything."

You smiled softly. "I'm really damn lucky to have you as my friend."

"I'm the lucky one," he replied with a smile. "Now, why don't we try to figure this out so you can get yourself a girlfriend?"