TNG. Data - First Meetings

"Y/N!" Julian exclaimed as he rushed up to your work station.

You raised an eyebrow as you looked at him. "What's up?"

"There's someone on board I think you should meet," he said. "You know how The Enterprise is docked with us for some repairs and to get supplies?"

You nodded, wondering who he was thinking of introducing you to.

"Commander Data is here."

When you didn't say anything, Julian's eyes widened in disbelief. "Commander Data!" he exclaimed. "The android!"

"Ohh, him. That's cool, but I do have work..."

"Commander Sisko wants us all to welcome everyone," Julian told you. "Come on, what are you working on, anyway? A routine diagnostic?"

"Maybe," you admitted. You smiled and shook your head as you stood up. "All right, let's go."

Julian brought you down to Quark's where O'Brien and Worf were speaking to a man with pale skin and yellow eyes.

"Commander," Julian greeted as you approached. "I hope we're not interrupting anything."

"Not at all," O'Brien said, smiling faintly. "We were just reminiscing about our time on the Enterprise together."

"Oh right, I forgot you all served together," you said. You looked at Data and held out your hand. "Hi. I'm Lieutenant Y/N Y/L/N."

Data shook your hand firmly. "Commander Data. Pleased to meet you."

"Likewise," you said, and you couldn't help but notice that he was fairly attractive.

Julian took a seat. "How are the repairs to Enterprise coming along?"

"Not bad," O'Brien replied. "We should be done by the morning."

"How do you like the station?" you asked Data.

He met your gaze. "It is impressive. The Cardassian architecture is somewhat crude, but clearly effective. It is fascinating to see how Starfleet and the Bajoran people have transformed the station into what it is today."

"I could give you a tour if you'd like," you offered.

"I would enjoy that, thank you." Data stood and looked at the others. "We will catch up again later."

They said their goodbyes and you showed Data around the promenade first, pointing out all of the different shops there. You then showed him the Bajoran temple, making sure there was nobody inside first. Afterwards, the two of you made your way throughout the station. You pointed out every interesting feature and he asked plenty of questions about the engineering, structure, and specifications of the station. He also asked you about yourself; mostly about your role on board.

You ended the tour on the pedways above the promenade. You were standing in front of the window that had the best view of the wormhole should it open.

"Well," you said, "that's the station."

"Thank you for the tour, it was very informative."

You smiled. "Just informative?"

Data thought for a moment, then said, "It was also enjoyable. I appreciate you taking the time to show me around."

"It beats doing diagnostics," you joked.

Data nodded slightly.

"We're expecting a shuttle to be returning from the Gamma Quadrant soon," you said. "They were just doing some routine checks. The wormhole is an amazing site to see if you want to stay here for a bit."

"That sounds acceptable," Data said, and he looked out the window.

You watched him for a few moments. "You're not what I was expecting."

"What were you expecting?"

"I don't know... I guess more robot-y. You're a lot more human than I anticipated you being. I don't mean that as an insult," you quickly finished.

"I do not take it as one," he said, turning his gaze back to you. "It has been a long-term goal of mine to become human. I am pleased to know that my efforts are not in vain."

You smiled. "I'm curious, why do you want to be like us so badly?"

"I suppose it is because my father was human, and I have essentially grown up around humans. I wish to know what it is like to experience life as a human. It is such a unique experience that I cannot help but yearn to experience it myself." He paused and thought for a moment. "I wish to be more than my programming. I have recently been equipped with an emotion chip and I am still trying to learn how to adapt to the many types of emotions you humans feel. I admit, it is more stimulating than I initially thought."

"That's very touching, Data," you said with a smile. "The human experience is messy, and complicated. Emotions get in the way of things. They cloud judgement, make us do irrational things, make us worry over nothing. But... they're worth it."

A bright light of blue and purple erupted in your peripheral vision. Your smile widened and you looked out the window quickly.

"Look! The wormhole is opening."

You and Data watched as the mouth of the wormhole grew. A shuttle flew out, seeming so small in comparison to the vastness of the wormhole. When it closed, you looked at Data.

"What did you think?"

"I think it was very aesthetically pleasing."

You laughed lightly. "Yeah, it is very pretty."

"Curious."

"What's that?"

"The sound of your laugh is making me feel... happiness."

A blush heated up your cheeks. "That's very kind of you to say."

"I have enjoyed spending time with you, Y/N. I do have to return to Enterprise for my duties there. Perhaps when I am done, I could show you around. Return the favour."

"I would love to. Thank you."

He dipped his head. "I can show you Ten Forward. It is our version of Quark's Bar."

"Can't wait."

"I understand that we only just met, but I am wondering if perhaps our visit to Ten Forward could be... what is it Commander Riker calls it... a date?"

Your excited smile turned into a shy one. "I'd like that."

"I am off duty at 0700 hours. I will meet you at the docking bay then."

"I'll be counting the minutes."

"That is a very inefficient use of your time."

You laughed. "It's an expression. It just means that I'm looking forward to it."

"Ah. Then I, too, shall count the minutes. However, my internal clock records time down to milliseconds. So I suppose a more accurate expression for me is, I will be counting the milliseconds."

You laughed again, the sound making Data subconsciously smile.