TNG. Reginald Barclay - Fencing

A/N: Holy cow, this book has surpassed 10k reads!! That's insane. Thank you everybody for your support. It really does mean the world to me. xx

You took a step backwards, quickly moving your sword to block Reg's advance.

"You're getting better," he commented, trying to counter your block.

You swung your sword to the side in an attempt to touch it to his side, but he moved and blocked. "So are you."

Reg was silent a moment, and you knew he was working up the courage to speak again. "O-only because you're... you're willing to practice with me so much."

You smiled behind your mask. "I enjoy spending time with you, Reg. And fencing is fun. Thanks for introducing me to it."

"You're welcome... I-I'm glad you enjoy it," he said as he flicked his sword towards you.

In an attempt to dodge, you moved backwards. Your ankle turned on its side and you stumbled. You let out a small gasp as you fell onto your rear, a searing pain shooting through your ankle.

"Y/N!" Reg exclaimed, taking his mask off as he approached you. He knelt down, worry etched all over his face. "I-I'm s-so sorry. I d-didn't... m-mean for you..."

"It's fine, Reg. This isn't your fault," you said softly. You took off your own mask and touched your ankle gently. It was tender, but didn't feel broken. You pressed your lips together, trying to hide the pain.

"A-are you okay?" he asked.

"I think I twisted my ankle," you admitted, then quickly added, "But it doesn't hurt that much, and Doctor Crusher can easily fix it."

Reg frowned. "Oh, this is my fault. If I hadn't asked you to practice with me, this wouldn't have happened. And if I hadn't advanced the way I did, you wouldn't have hurt yourself. Y/N, I'm so sorry."

You put your hand on his arm. "Hey, I said it isn't your fault, and I meant it. It was an accident. They happen. It's not that serious an injury, and I'll be better with one quick stop to sickbay."

He was still frowning and seeming to be upset. He nodded, though, and carefully helped you to your feet. "I-I'll help you to sickbay."

"Thanks, Reg," you said, leaning onto him. He had one arm wrapped tightly around your waist while the other was up and ready to catch you should you lose your balance.

"You really don't have to be so worried about me, you know," you said as the two of you made your way through the ship towards sickbay. "I'll be fine."

"I just h-hate knowing you're in-injured because of me," he said.

You sighed and glanced to him. "This isn't your fault. Besides, even if it was, it's only a tiny injury. I'll be perfectly fine in no time."

"I know..." He bit his lip and looked straight ahead. He took in a deep breath and then, in one quick sentence, said, "I just really like you, Y/N, and I don't want you to be in any pain."

A smile tugged at your lips. "Oh, Reg..."

"And I understand if you don't... if you don't feel the same way," he continued. "But I just thought you should know that I think of you as more than a friend."

Your smile grew. The hand that you had on his shoulder tightened. "I think of you as more than a friend, too."

"Y-you do?" he asked.

You nodded. "I have for a while. I just didn't know how you'd react."

A smile formed on Reg's face. "Then maybe... we-we should... after your ankle is better of course, go on... on a date?"

"I think that sounds like a great idea. How about tomorrow evening after we're both off duty?"

Reg's cheeks flushed, and he smiled shyly. "I can't wait."