TNG. Jean-Luc Picard - He Realizes He's In Love With You

The captain entered Ten Forward in hopes of finding you. The two of you had an argument earlier that day, and he was in agony thinking you could be mad at him. In all honesty, it was a silly and dumb argument, but it had made you mad. The things that were said between you two weren't nice things, and a lot of it neither of you meant. You'd stormed out of his quarters and Jean-Luc hadn't had the time to talk to you about it, yet.

His eyes scanned the room, trying to find you amongst all the people. Finally, he saw you. His chest tightened. You were sitting with Geordi, giggling and smiling at something he'd said. Jean-Luc knew he had no right to be jealous. After all, you two were just friends.

"Something troubling you?" Guinan asked from behind the bar.

The captain looked to her, not really hearing what she'd asked. "What?"

"You looked upset," she clarified. "Something on your mind?"

"No," he lied, eyes going back to you quickly.

"Ah. I see. You should go talk to them. They came in here looking pretty upset about an hour ago. Geordi went over to try and cheer them up."

With a frown, Jean-Luc watched you. "How upset did they look?"

"Like someone had called them needy and selfish."

He looked at her quickly, eyes widening slightly.

Guinan shrugged meekly. "I may have overheard the conversation Y/N had with Geordi."

Jean-Luc rubbed his face and sighed. "I should go apologize, shouldn't I?"

"Might be a good idea."

He sighed again and made his way to you. He cleared his throat when he neared, and the laughter died from both you and Geordi.

"Lieutenant," the captain said to Geordi.

Geordi nodded. "Captain. I...I should be getting back to engineering." He stood. "It was nice talking with you, Y/N."

You smiled softly at him. "You too. Thanks for joining me."

He smiled before leaving.

Jean-Luc sat in his place, folding his hands together on the table. "Y/N..."

You held up a hand. "I know you've been under a lot of stress lately and I know I can be a bit much at times, but that doesn't excuse what you said."

"No, you're right, it doesn't. I shouldn't have called you what I did. I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry, too. I guess I've just been bottling a lot of things up lately and kind of blew my top at you."

Jean-Luc smiled sympathetically. "You shouldn't have to bottle things up around me. You should know by now that you can tell me anything."

You shrugged looked down at the table. "I don't know. There are some things I'm too embarrassed to tell you."

"Don't be embarrassed, Y/N. You know I'll never judge you."

"I know," you replied. "It's just that I don't know how you'll respond."

He reached across the table to take your hand loosely. "Tell me if you want to, but I won't force you."

You bit your lip and looked at your intertwined hands. "There's someone on this ship that I think—I think I might be in love with them."

At that, Jean-Luc's heart shattered. He realized in that moment why he was jealous of Geordi making you laugh. Why he'd always been so protective over you and why he'd worried so much whenever you got hurt. Why he had been getting a funny feeling in his stomach whenever you were near him. He was in love with you. Utterly and completely in love.

"And I know that he's probably not looking for a relationship right now," you continued, ignoring Jean-Luc's silence. "At least not with me."

"Why wouldn't he want to be in a relationship with you?" he blurted before he could stop himself. "You're amazing, Y/N. Very clever and smart; very funny and fun to be around; very kind and caring; and very attractive."

You blinked, startled. You blushed. "You really think so?"

He nodded. "I do. And if he doesn't feel the same way then you shouldn't bother with him."

You smiled, giving his hand a small squeeze. "I think he just told me how he feels."

Jean-Luc met your gaze, realization hitting him. "I'm the one you're in love with?"

You nodded slowly, biting down on your lip as you thought of what to say.

"Well. . .that's a relief," he mumbled. "Otherwise this could have gotten very awkward."

You laughed and Jean-Luc smiled, listening to the laugh he'd fallen in love with.